cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1- port channelized OC-3/STM-1 benifites

yasmena_adel
Level 1
Level 1

I need to know the difference between connecting a STM-1 fiber cable from ISP to the module"1- port channelized OC-3/STM-1" and connecting to giga interface of supervisor engine of Router c 7606

7 Replies 7

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Actually, you would use the non-channelized card.

The benefit is that you can monitor the true state of the fiber circuit, and do not have to pay monthly to the ISP for a converting device .

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Yasmena,

connecting a POS fiber based link to a GE fiber based port produces no link at all.

they are both using fibers, lasers and photodiodes but POS is totally different uses SONET/SDH

so unless you want to pay for a service provider device to act as a converter you can use a POS port.

if  you have a flexwan module installed in your C7606 you could consider to use a PA POS

if you have a SIP module (200 or 400) you can look for POS STM-1 SPA submodules

as noted by  Paolo you likely don't need the channelized version (unless you have it already on the system)

Hope to help

Giuseppe

yasmena_adel
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your replies , However i need to know if it really a big value to transfer my connection to use that channelized  module or not , are the ISP has to use the same module in front of my connection , the fiber cable is differ  , the module accept the configuration of BW  limitation & tunneling  as GRE tunnel or not .

Hello Yasmena,

>> if it really a big value to transfer my connection to use that channelized  module or not , are the ISP has to use the same module in front of my connection

May you explain what is your current ISP connection?

Are you evaluating a new ISP proposal?

if they offer you an STM-1 OC3 link they need to use a similar STM-1 ? short answer  yes

>> the module accept the configuration of BW  limitation & tunneling  as GRE tunnel or not .

a GRE tunnel can  be supported over it, this depends only on the supervisor model on your C7606.

about QoS exact tools that are available depend from the combination linecard / module but the answer should be positive for both combinations (flexwan/PA or SIP/SPA)

Hope to  help

Giuseppe

what is your current ISP connection?

the ISP connection is a fiber cable through a converter connected to SPF port of supervisor engine .

Are you evaluating a new ISP proposal?

yes , is it better at all or not  and specially for my setup the as 2 STM1 on different locations connected to each other by a 2 gre tunnel with bw determination based on layer 2 vlan across the provider(pass vlan  tag throug  trunk ).

supervisor model on your C7606.

SPA 400, i don't know about SIP

Kindly i need to know all advantage and knowledge about the 2 solutions .

Thanks alot

As indicated above. It is better to not use converters because you can monitor the true status of the circuits, apply QoS directly and effectlivey, moreover there is one less device that can fail and is charged in the bill.

viyuan700
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

Earlier you need a converter box if ISP want to give you GE interface instead of STM. But now Same SDH box  can provide you either STM or GE interface you dont need any converter box if ISP have right kind of box in your facility.

What is the speed are you looking at is STM 1 (155Mb )is enough or you need more. If need more then you can have it on GE interface only thing you have to see the distance whether ISP can provide you GE interface on Copper or fiber  cable for that disatnce. You need to check the feature you are looking is available on GE card or STM card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card