cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4402 we have two physical port, do the port 1 can be used for management & and for vlan config to

In 4402 we have two port, I am using port -1 for management 172.16.124.10 [ vlan 1], do I use the same port -1 for VLAN 101 also for IPT Voice network [ 172.16.125.10] as trunk configured in switch or do I use only port-2 for other vlan configuration.

Port -1 is reseverd for management alone or do we can use port -1 for management + other vlan configuration.

Following the below doc for VLANs on Wireless LAN Controllers Configuration:

http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/paws/68100/wlan_controllers_vlans.pdf

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

If memory serves me correct, default VLAN for the WLC is "0" which is VLAN 1 on a switch.  Can you turn Management interface to VLAN "0" on the WLC?

View solution in original post

"0" assumes untagged and as such your switch will need to be native for that vlan. Any other number used will be tagged and as such a trunk needs to be appllied to the switch .q.

Why? That is a great question and one i have had as well. I have asked many Cisco engineers and the anwser i got was,"its recommend pratice. BUT you can tag the traffic".

Personally, I have deployments set up each way and I havent had any issues.

I hope that helps a little ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Balamurugan,

You can LAG port 1 & 2.  Together you can run a number of VLANs into them although I only have ONE active link.

Be aware that "bridging" a WLC is not supported.  When I mean bridge it looks like this:

switch 1 < --- > WLC Port 1 === WLC Port 2 < --- > Switch 2

Hope this works.

Thanks a lot for the reply, My set up as follows, I am using physical port -1 as management interface in vlan 1 172.16.125.10, and create dynamic interface vlan 111 172.16.124.10 for Vlan 111 network associated with physical port -1, I am able to ping 172.16.124.10 form switch, but I am not able to ping 172.16.125.10 from switch. The switch configuration for port -1 as follows:

int gig 0/1

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 1, 111

switchport mode trunk

no shut.

Please update me what I am missing to have connectivity between my swithc and dynamic interface vlan 111.

If memory serves me correct, default VLAN for the WLC is "0" which is VLAN 1 on a switch.  Can you turn Management interface to VLAN "0" on the WLC?

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the rating.

It is must that we should make management vlan to 0, even if I have management vlan 111 and I am able to create multiple vlan and it is working fine, but the document says the management vlan should be untagged, please light me why the management vlan should be untagged, In my topology I have try management as TAG and UNTAG vlan both the case it works fine.

"0" assumes untagged and as such your switch will need to be native for that vlan. Any other number used will be tagged and as such a trunk needs to be appllied to the switch .q.

Why? That is a great question and one i have had as well. I have asked many Cisco engineers and the anwser i got was,"its recommend pratice. BUT you can tag the traffic".

Personally, I have deployments set up each way and I havent had any issues.

I hope that helps a little ...

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: