Helpful
Replies

system jumbomtu cat6509 system

juan-ruiz
Level 1
Level 1

I'm running a cat6509

Version 12.2(18)SXF12, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2\

I want to support Jumbo frames for a server application.

when I enable system jumbomtu using the default values are there any

negative impact on the other systems connected?

what commands can I execute to check the new MTU values?

Any docs on this would be great too.

Thanks,

Juan

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm running a cat6509

Thanks,

Juan

Hi Juan,

Genrally Jumbo frames feature can be enabled on the Catalyst 6500 to improve server performance is jumbo frames.

Enabling the jumbo frames feature allows the transmission of large packets between the switch and the servers. The maximum standard Ethernet frame size is 1518 bytes (1522 bytes with an 802.1Q header). This consists of a 1500-byte data payload (whose length is the standard Maximum Transmission Unit [MTU]) and an 18-byte Ethernet header + trailer. The 802.1Q header adds 4 extra bytes of header information. Considerable performance advantage can be gained from increasing the amount of data transferred in the payload of each frame. The main benefit that can be derived is a reduction in the number of interrupts needed on the end stations to complete a data transfer or a large transaction.

Check out the below link how to configure Jumbo frame in Cat OS and IOS hope that help
If helpful do rate the post
Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Juan,

Here is the config guide for 12.2SXF and how to configure jumbo frame for 6500.  Follow the guide lines as there are restrictions on the size of the frame you can configure per module.  For example, the WS-X6548-GE-TX, WS-X6548V-GE-TX, WS-X6148-GE-TX, and WS-X6148V-GE-TX do not support jumbo frames.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1041111

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm running a cat6509

Thanks,

Juan

Hi Juan,

Genrally Jumbo frames feature can be enabled on the Catalyst 6500 to improve server performance is jumbo frames.

Enabling the jumbo frames feature allows the transmission of large packets between the switch and the servers. The maximum standard Ethernet frame size is 1518 bytes (1522 bytes with an 802.1Q header). This consists of a 1500-byte data payload (whose length is the standard Maximum Transmission Unit [MTU]) and an 18-byte Ethernet header + trailer. The 802.1Q header adds 4 extra bytes of header information. Considerable performance advantage can be gained from increasing the amount of data transferred in the payload of each frame. The main benefit that can be derived is a reduction in the number of interrupts needed on the end stations to complete a data transfer or a large transaction.

Check out the below link how to configure Jumbo frame in Cat OS and IOS hope that help
If helpful do rate the post
Ganesh.H

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Juan,

Here is the config guide for 12.2SXF and how to configure jumbo frame for 6500.  Follow the guide lines as there are restrictions on the size of the frame you can configure per module.  For example, the WS-X6548-GE-TX, WS-X6548V-GE-TX, WS-X6148-GE-TX, and WS-X6148V-GE-TX do not support jumbo frames.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SXF/native/configuration/guide/intrface.html#wp1041111

HTH

Reza

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card