cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Management VLAN and config reg question!

andymorph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys

first of i'm not sure if this is in the right place but i'm starting out looking at getting my ccna through getting ccent then full ccna.  I've got a bit of a question which might seem a bit stupid.  I have my 3524 switch - it boots up with just the default vlan and all the ports in that vlan.  I set up an ip address on that vlan and then enable telnet with a password - if i connect a laptop to a switch port i can telnet to the switch.  Now i'm sure at my workplace we have managemen vlans but i'm sure they are some kind of virtual interface with no physical port attatched - i'm just wondering how u set telnet to work with a differant vlan with no physical port (i appreciate a vlan stand for virtual lan!).  I'm just wondering how you change the management vlan or configure it with no physical port - although i might be missing the point!

Also i'm also trying to get my 3524 back to its default settings - if i want to change the config reg on a swich - it has to be in rommon mode ? Because my config-reg mode is 0xF and no matter what i do in global config i cant clear it!

Also -i'll say hello now and apologise for a few newb questions coming up over the next couple of weeks

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Guys

first of i'm not sure if this is in the right place but i'm starting out looking at getting my ccna through getting ccent then full ccna.  I've got a bit of a question which might seem a bit stupid.  I have my 3524 switch - it boots up with just the default vlan and all the ports in that vlan.  I set up an ip address on that vlan and then enable telnet with a password - if i connect a laptop to a switch port i can telnet to the switch.  Now i'm sure at my workplace we have managemen vlans but i'm sure they are some kind of virtual interface with no physical port attatched - i'm just wondering how u set telnet to work with a differant vlan with no physical port (i appreciate a vlan stand for virtual lan!).  I'm just wondering how you change the management vlan or configure it with no physical port - although i might be missing the point!

Also i'm also trying to get my 3524 back to its default settings - if i want to change the config reg on a swich - it has to be in rommon mode ? Because my config-reg mode is 0xF and no matter what i do in global config i cant clear it!

Also -i'll say hello now and apologise for a few newb questions coming up over the next couple of weeks

Hi,

For a layer 2 switch only a single vlan can be a management vlan. For all the switches in the network, you can have the same vlan travel across the trunk ports to use as a management vlan for all the switches. You can can have all the routers connected to the same vlan which is a dedicated management vlan on your network.

On a Layer-3 switch, any vlan can be a management vlan. You have to decide and set one of the vlan which will only be used for the management across the entire network. You can have the same vlan travel across the trunk and have all the routers connected in the dedicated vlan for management.

Setting telnet or giving access to switches or router can be done on based of acl or even based of connection established from source vlan.

for ex:- if you want your switch should be accessed from only vlan 10 ip telnet source-interface vlan vlan-id

check out the below link for chnaging the config-reg value in router's

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a008022493f.shtml

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card