cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Incoming Caller-ID Handling

ciscojoe837
Level 1
Level 1

I wanted to know if there is a way to create rules to handle incoming calls depending on the caller-id name and/or caller-id number.  For example, if a call comes in with phone numer, 123-456-7890, then go directly to ext 987.  Basically, I want to be able to manipulate the call routing of an incoming call depending on its caller-id number and send it to wherever I want -- voicemail, ext, another AA, etc.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

This is possible, but outside of CCA using CLI. What you need to do is create POTS dial peers that use the "answer-address" statement. This command catches the incoming CALLING number and forces a match on the dial peer it is under. Then, under that same dial-peer, you invoke an incoming translation rule that changes the CALLED number (whatever it is) to the destination you want (ephone-dn, another POTS dial peer or a VoIP dial peer). It is that simple.

Notice this only works for DID trunks (BRI, PRI, SIP). It doesn't work for FXO, even if caller ID is provided. That is because for FXO, the inbound dial peer is selected the very moment inbound ringing is detected.

Thanks,

Marcos

Thanks for that.  I would want to do this on the FXO lines so are you saying it can't be done at all?

As well, I was reading some discussions on translation profiles whereby some users wanted to block or reject a call alltogether.  I would want to do this as well.  I do get calls where my number is mistaken with another so I would want to reject it.  It seems to me that rejecting a call based on the incoming caller-id number is similar to what I originally wanted to do -- I wanted to route the call to a destination of my choice.  That said, your instructions here are quite different and now I'm totally confused.  Can you help me understand the difference?  Maybe I'm not understanding voice translation rules correctly.

Here is the link I found:  https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/31735#31735

The CLI is okay for me.  The CCA is good but limited.  Can you give an example of what you just wrote.

Thanks.

Joe

It is similar , but not the same. Imagine you want to route calls coming from "AAAA" to an IP Phone with extension "BBBB" (or any type of destination).You woudl do this:

!

voice translation-rule 900

rule 1 /.*/ /BBBB/

!

voice translation-profile CHANGECLID

translate called 900

!

dial-peer voice 5000 pots

answer-address AAAA

translation-profile incoming CHANGECLID

!

Translation rule 900 and profile CHANGLE CLID change any called number to "BBBB". Dial peer 5000 "catches" calls coming from AAAA and applies the aforementioned rule.

This won't work for FXO.

Thanks,

Marcos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: