Views
Helpful
Replies

How can we achieve load balancing and redundancy on both the routers

prasad.patkar
Level 1
Level 1
Hi,
i have two 10Mbps point-to-point metro ethernet links to my branch office. bothe the links ate terminated on separate router to achive hardware level redundeny.
How can we achieve load balancing and redundancy on both the routers ?
what tech i can used to achive Both hardware level redundency and also wnats to use bothe the links in load balance fashion.
Thans,
Prasad..
3 Replies 3

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi,
i have two 10Mbps point-to-point metro ethernet links to my branch office. bothe the links ate terminated on separate router to achive hardware level redundeny.
How can we achieve load balancing and redundancy on both the routers ?
what tech i can used to achive Both hardware level redundency and also wnats to use bothe the links in load balance fashion.
Thans,
Prasad..

Hi Prasad,

To have redundancy between the links and active/passsive load balancing to achieve you can configure HSRP with tracking or GLBP with tracking configutration on routers for tracffic coming into routers and if in any case outside link goes down so that traffic can shift to another router via redundacny routing protcocol configuration in routers.

Check out the below link on HSRP and GLBP for tracking

http://www.itsyourip.com/cisco/how-to-configure-hsrp-in-cisco-ios-routers/  -- HSRP

http://www.itsyourip.com/cisco/how-to-configure-glbp-in-cisco-ios-routers/ -- GLBP

Hope to help

If helfpul do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Sergey Yakovets
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Simple and quick option:

1) Run dynamic routing protocol between branch office routers and across both metro links

2) As long as dynamic routing protocol (for e.g. EIGRP) has an ability to add multiple equal path to the routing table - traffic will be load balanced automaticaly without any needs to track links\routers status.

3) If failure occurs at routers\links - redundant route will be deleted and remaining one will be used. Once missing router\link comes back online - second path will populate routing table and load balancing continues.

Regards,

Sergey

Hello Prasad,

below option is also open

calculate remote sites subnets ( how many different subnets exists), if 50 are there then divide them with 25 + 25, make 2 ACL ; first ACL put first 25 network subnets and in 2nd ACL the rest are included, then assign them into route-map and put route map to different routers outside where different service provider networks are connected.

this is the best solution because it is doing exact load balancing; you can do same thing to remote sites by assigning AD at the end of the default routes and mark them to different SP like

at remote site; you can make default routes like

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.254 10 ## SP1 ##

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.20.254 20 ## SP2 ##

HTH

Jigar Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: