Incoming dpots dial-peer trunkgroup matching?

Unanswered Question

Hi,

I'm aware of the inbound dial-peer matching rules as per: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk90/technologies_tech_note09186a008010fed1.shtml#topic5.

To this end, I had the following configured:

!
dial-peer voice 50 pots
trunkgroup FXO_Ports
corlist incoming call-fullaccess
permission orig
description Incoming FXO Calls
translation-profile incoming FXO_Incoming
huntstop
incoming called-number T
!

The trunkgroup being a trunk of two fxo ports:

!
trunk group FXO_Ports
max-calls voice 2
description Trunk Group for FXO Ports
hunt-scheme longest-idle
!

voice-port 0/1/0
trunk-group FXO_Ports
supervisory custom-cptone MT
timeouts call-disconnect 3
timeouts wait-release 3
connection plar 279
description PSTN Number 21237788
caller-id enable
!

voice-port 0/1/2
trunk-group FXO_Ports
supervisory custom-cptone MT
timeouts call-disconnect 3
timeouts wait-release 3
connection plar 279
description PSTN Number 21237788
caller-id enable
!

During testing, I was suprised to find that an ioncoming call on one of these ports does not match the dial-peer and instead matches the default dial-peer 0. Attached are the relevant debugs for this.

My question is, is this expected? Can one not match on a trunkgroup? Do I need to configure an incoming dial-peer for each voiceport (imaging a system with a large number of such ports)?

Thanks,

Joe

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Marcos Hernandez Thu, 02/18/2010 - 14:39
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

Inbound dial peer matching for FXO is kind of a special case, since a selection based on called or calling number is not possible. The former does not exist for inbound calls through an FXO, and the latter is delivered AFTER the POTS peer has been chosen, triggered by the inbound ringing voltage.

Having said that, if dial peer 50 is your ONLY dial peer, it should have been matched before dial peer 0. You are missing a destination pattern. Add whatever pattern and it should work. Now, there isn't really much you can do in reality wiht these POTS.

Thanks,

Marcos

Hi Marcos,

Many thanks for the detailed response. I'm not sure I follow some of the thing syou said:

1. Why does dial-peer 50 need to be the ONLY dial-peer? I do have other dial-peers in other systems we've got. For example, one system had three dial-peer, one to match incoming fax calls on a specific FXO port, one to match incoming calls for the FXO trunkgroup (other three fxo ports) and one to matching incoming calls from the incoming BRI trunkgroup (two BRI ports). Is such a config not possible?

2. In the above example, I found that a normal voice call incoming on fxo port 0/2/1 was matching the dial-peer for the incoming fax calls (configured for port 0/2/3) instead of the dial-peer for the FXO trunkgroup (of which port 0/2/1 is a member). This is what I'm finding odd...incoming called-number is 'T' on all dial-peers and no answer-address or destination-pattern is configured. In this case I'd expect the port or trunkgroup configured on these incoming dial-peers to be the distinguishing factor but seemingly it isn't...

3. You say there there really isn't much you can do with these dp's. Well actually there's all sorts of stuff that I'd like to do :-). Things such as configuring corlists, performing digit manipulation and configuring huntstop and dial-peer directionality (permission orig/term)....so I'd say there's quite a bit to be gained form being able to match the correct incoming dp...

ta,

Joe

Marcos Hernandez Sun, 03/07/2010 - 07:37
User Badges:
  • Blue, 1500 points or more

1. Inbound FXO dial peer matching does not depend on anything other than inbound ringing voltage. If you have three dial peers identically configured and associated to the same FXO port, they will be matched randomly.

2. Inbound calls through an FXO port do not have a "called number". Imagine your phone line at home. The Telco oes not send you any digits when your home phone rings. Call routing stops at the CO. The only thing they can send you is caller id. But on a Cisco voice gateway, inbound FXO dial peer cannot be based on caller id (calling number), because by the time caller id is received, a dial peer has already been chosen since inbound ringing voltage was detected on the FXO port.

3. You can do a lot for outbound calls, but not much for inbound in terms of predictably choose a dial peer. This is true for FXO only. BRI is different, because these are DID trunks.

Thanks,

Marcos

Actions

This Discussion