Views
Helpful
Replies

Strange with two cisco routers

edgar.quintana
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a cisco 2821 connected to a server with ip 192.168.157.253 and all traffic goes to this router.This server only uses this router.  There is another cisco 1841 router with 192.168.157.254 ip and all servers use this device.

When I open a terminal session in the first server(router ip 192.168.157.253)  and ping for example www.google.es or www.amazon.com some packets go frm server to 192.168.157.253 and then to 192.168.157.254 and google.com or amazon.....not always happends but sometimes.

Why?

The server has as default route 192.168.157.253 not 254.

Best regards

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Are both routers (2821 and 1841) connected to the same switch?

I see they both are on the same subnet.

Could be a configuration issue on the switch.

Could you attach that configuration as well?

Federico.

HI,

Yes, both routers are connected to same switch.

Edgar,

I am responding in english so that everybody understands...

This could be a normal behavior, for example if for a moment the 2821 could not reach its internet access, it has another way to reach the Internet, through the 1841...

Could you share with us a snapshot of the topology?

Federico.

There are, for this topic, two swtiches.

1st for lan 192.168.157.x

2nd for x.x.x.81 and internet.

Both router have one interface connected to lan and 2nd to this swtich.

Like I said,

Could be that the connection from the 2821 to the Internet is interrumpted, and therefore it get's out through the other router (being both on the same subnet).

Can you test that when this happens, there's a lost in the connection from the 2821 to the Internet? I think this is what's happening...

Is this affecting the network in anyway?

Federico.

Hi,

Just give some time to test new changes ok?

Hello Federico,

the two routers have both

no ip proxy-arp on internal LAN interfaces or external interfaces

there is  no backup floating static route pointing to the other router or a dynamic routing protocol.

even if router1's wan interface fails it should not be able to detect the other router is still able to reach the internet.

So I agree it is strange

Are the two routers connected to the same IP subnet also on the ip nat outside ?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card