cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS - office documents

Brian Cartledge
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any changes that can be made to improve the performance of opening/closing Office documents (tested with word, excel and powerpoint) over a WAAS optimised WAN circuit?

Branch office users are opening files from a central file server. Latency between the office and data centre is 200ms. Optimisation and caching appears to be working fine. Have tested with and without preposition. When opening PDF's directly from the server the performance is fine. Copying the cached office file to the desktop and then opening peformance is fine. But when opening Office files directly from the file server performance is unsatisfactory. Same situation when closing the file down even if changes haven't been made.

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Paul Malysz
Level 1
Level 1

By default, Office apps open a temp file for editing in the same location as the original (those ~files).  You'll need to change the setting in office (try it on one machine, the do a GPO) for "Make local copy of files stored on network or removable drives."

This puts the temp file locally, so when a file is opened, you'll get the acceleration upon open and save, but the working temp file all writes are local.

Thanks for the reply. I have tried this with Office 2007, here the option is "copy remotely stored files onto your computer, and update the remote file when saving". Excel doesn't not seem to have a similiar setting that I can find.

It's hard to say if there is much of difference with this option enabled, if any. For example, closing an unchanged 1mb  cached.doc can take up to 10 seconds. Which is annoying as the performance for non Office files is very good.

I'll try some tests with office 2003 but would appreciate any other suggestions.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: