Current Mac OSX VPN Client Software: 4.x only?

Unanswered Question
Feb 15th, 2010

I just wanted to confirm that the current OS X VPN Client is still Release 4.9.01.0180. On the downloads page, under Security > VPN > Cisco VPN Client, there are v5.x and v4.x branches, but as far as I can see the 5.x branch is Windows only.

The release notes for the Mac v4.9 version listed above have a revision date of December 1, 2009, which is pretty current, but the notes make a big deal of supporting Intel Macs, and no longer supporting OS 10.3.9 . Hmmm. Apple's had Intel Macs for more than five years now, and the current OS is 10.6.x. Plus, there seem to be various formum threads complaining of issues with the 4.9 client on OS 10.5.

Is this v4.9 release supposed to work on OS 10.5 and 10.6? Is a 5.x VPN client for the Mac in the works, or should we be considering some other approach? (It is not clear to me what things are in a "legacy" support phase, and what are still accepted practice.)

We are a small college with an ASA 5505, and use the VPN client for our travelling Admissions people to connect to campus databases. AFAIK, we don't have licenses for the "AnyConnect" or "SSL" VPN options, and the basic VPN Client has been working okay -- we're small enough that the manual setup of the client and creation of a login on the ASA are not too onerous. But, most of our admissions staff use Macs, so if current OSes are not going to be supported it will get to be an issue.

Thanks,

Steve Bohrer

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content