CCA 2.2.1 SIP source group bug

Unanswered Question
Feb 15th, 2010

Hey guys,

I ran into some really strange behavior with CCA 2.2.1 this past week while adding an SA520 to an existing UC520 installation.  The UC520, on it's own, was working perfectly with inbound and outbound SIP trunk calls prior to the installation of the SA520.  On installation of the SA520, and by following the Technical lab to accomplish this, the "CCA_SIP_SOURCE_GROUP" was somehow recreated on the UC520.  The changes that I made on the UC520 included the deletion of NAT, the deletion of the Firewall, configuring the system to automatically select G.729 instead of G.711 including reregistration of the transcoder, and changing the outbound dialing rules to select PSTN before SIP in most cases.  Something in one of these commands appears to reissue the command which also recreates the CCA_SIP_SOURCE_GROUP.  By the time I realized what was going on, I was unable to recreate it exactly, so I am still unaware of which command does it.  Perhaps somebody else here has seen this behavior and can weigh in on the issue?  This was especially troubling, and difficult to trace because it is our standard operating procedure to remove this command after creating the SIP trunk initially, and I had done this on the UC520 several times during that period.  Sometimes the UC520 showed that the source group did not exist, and sometimes it did.

I have another almost identical setup in at a new site, so I will try to identify what is causing this.  If anybody already knows, however, I would appreciate the heads up.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Maulik Shah Mon, 02/15/2010 - 22:17

Not a bug really - anytime you have SIP trunk setup - changes to the SIP trunk tab, dialplan tab or firewall tab will add this back in.

Why are you removing this - its not recommended in general - is it because your ITSP cannot provide a list of IP addresses?

sethschmautz Tue, 02/16/2010 - 07:53

Hi Maulik,

Our SIP trunk provider actually provides more signalling than anything.  We are not purchasing Internet bandwidth from this ITSP because our customers access the Internet via satellite.  The Satellite ISP can provide phone lines at approximately $90/line which is far too expensive for voice, in my opinion.  Therefore we use the Satellite ISP to access the Internet and our SIP trunk provider to provide signalling for our voice calls.

From my conversations with you and others, I was under the impression that this source group was sort of a bug in the system and removing it solved a lot of problems.  In fact, I'm pretty sure that I have an email or post somewhere that says that the next iteration of CCA will fix this.  Perhaps I was misunderstanding.  If you have any other ideas for us, please let me know.

Maulik Shah Tue, 02/16/2010 - 22:38

Apologize if the impression conveyed was that the voice source-group is buggy and should be removed.  There was definitely an issue that we worked on with NexVortex - CSCtc38642 which we did provide a software fix. As long as your SIP trunk ISP uses a known set of IP addresses to source the SIP traffic from, add these in the source group with the image provided.

To answer the main question - there is no CCA bug here - the source-group will be added as I stated earlier. Let me know if there are further questions I can help answer.

This Discussion