Views
Helpful
Replies

switch/router image update vs upgrade

arumugasamy
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

Anyone can clear the different between update/upgrade. One of  my customer wants me to do the update for their switches/routers/firewall instead of upgrades

He has contract with us that contain no software upgrade. So he wants update for all the devives.

swami

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

arumugasamy wrote:

Dear,

Anyone can clear the different between update/upgrade. One of  my customer wants me to do the update for their switches/routers/firewall instead of upgrades

He has contract with us that contain no software upgrade. So he wants update for all the devives.

swami

Swami

Not sure what your customer means. Perhaps he is thinking IOS is like Windows or Unix where you can have patches to the existing OS rather than change to a new OS version ie. XP to Vista for example. Cisco IOS doesn't work like this. If you need changes to the image you get a new image you don't patch the existing image.

Now this doesn't necessarily mean upgrading to a whole new IOS version, you can simply upgrade to a new revision number within the same IOS release. If you stick to the same feature set as far as i know there is no cost (someone correct me if i am wrong). But if you change feature sets or jump to a new release then there is a cost involved.

Jon

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello swami,

If they just want update, then give them on update of how many routers and switches they have in their network and what type IOS they are currently running.  Upgrade means upgrading for example form IOS 12.2 to IOS 12.3

HTH

Reza

Is the T train considered an upgrade or update from the mainline?  ie: if I have 12.4.22 advIP and need hardware support of 12.4.xT advIP ?

it is upgrade

Thanks.  I am still trying to work out the Cisco system.  I had thought that as it was still within the 12.4 group that as long as the feature set was the same that it would be an update and not an upgrade. Since the last T train then becomes the next major build.  It seems harsh that you would need to purchase a T IOS for hardware support and then be up again for the next revision (for bug fixes ertc)...... of course if we had SmartNet ...

Since we would need to pay we would go straight to the next build.  I was looking for the cheapest option to support hardware.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: