Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about Feature Sets

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Cisco Team,

Just a couple of questions about a couple of features on the UC-500.

1. B-ACD Funcitonality:

Is there any practical/programming or other reasons as to why we are not able to have to the B-ACD talk to a blast group instead of an ephone-hunt group? There are frequent requests for it to be capable of doing this, but i am unable to see how this can be done at this stage. Would it not make sense to be able to choose between a Call Blast and the other setup options? Could this be easily implemented in CCA to configure? Could we manually modify the script for it to do this?

2. Phone Sleep Mode:

I notice that when the phone is in sleep mode, the button on the far right lights up and the screen is off, to bring the screen back alive you just press that button and all is good again... However why are we not able to press this button again and put the screen back in sleep mode? Wouldn't it be more efficient to be able to do this? It would consume less power when the phone is not in use, and would allow someone to put their phone in sleep mode if they are leaving the office for the day. I get this request a lot because people actually do believe this is going to help save the environment, however that is an entirely different debate, but i am sure it could save on energy consumption right?

3. Hot Desking:

Is there a way to enable or allow Hot Desking? For example user (A) leaves their desk and jumps on User (F) desk and presses the log-in button on the screen, enters their EXT number and Pin, and then User (B) logs onto User (A) phone and User (F) Logs onto user (B).. Did i confuse you yet???

This questions is also being asked a lot of me, and since i have never configured this before i am not sure if it is enabled or allowable, or even can be done, i have to tender a quote for a system that can do that, before i look at a competing system to quote i need to be sure that the Cisco can not do this, i honestly do not want to sell another companies product, so i fthe Cisco can do a simple task like this i would be a happy man.

4. Contrast Control on the 7970's:

Is there any reason as to why there is no contrast control in the 7970 phones? The screens on these phones require tweaking as they are not as clear as the 75's or even the 65's, however the product description describes them as a high quality colour screen, when really they come no where near matching the quality of the 45/65 & 75 phones, however being able to adjust or calibrate the contrast could assist with making these phones present a little better.

5. CCA Upgrading procedure:

I could be missing something here, and possibly doing something wrong, but is there any reason as to why when upgrading to version 8 (And previous versions) we have to upgrade the IOS and the CUE to then only have to go through another longer procedure to upgrade the CUE to UK audio? Is it not possible to have a US and UK English version of the software pack so we only have to do one upgrade at a time? It is time consuming and takes far to long to just do an upgrade, i have thought about modifying the software pack to be able to do this, but in the past this has been a hit and miss thing, plus i do not like modifying releases to an unsupported format, it would be good to just do things as they were intended for in their release... Is this a hard thing to do?

I think that is all i will put forward for now, there are more, but i think the baby steps approach might be more appropriate :)

Look forward to the responses.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *
2 Replies 2

ronlewis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
  1. B-ACD Funcitonality:

Is there any practical/programming or other reasons as to why we are not able to have to the B-ACD talk to a blast group instead of an ephone-hunt group? There are frequent requests for it to be capable of doing this, but i am unable to see how this can be done at this stage. Would it not make sense to be able to choose between a Call Blast and the other setup options? Could this be easily implemented in CCA to configure? Could we manually modify the script for it to do this?

ronlewis- You can't use BACD and Blast hunt groups today. The answer to this question in technical details would take too much time, in short the reasons has to do with how CME/UC500 call control functions are assembled. Voice-hunt groups, which includes support for blast, does not support the TCL based call queuing feature nor the call stats feature. We are looking at feature enhancements for BACD on UC500, and this is one area we are looking at.

2. Phone Sleep Mode:

I notice that when the phone is in sleep mode, the button on the far right lights up and the screen is off, to bring the screen back alive you just press that button and all is good again... However why are we not able to press this button again and put the screen back in sleep mode? Wouldn't it be more efficient to be able to do this? It would consume less power when the phone is not in use, and would allow someone to put their phone in sleep mode if they are leaving the office for the day. I get this request a lot because people actually do believe this is going to help save the environment, however that is an entirely different debate, but i am sure it could save on energy consumption right?

ronlewis- This is a 797x IP Phone feature, which is a different group then UC500,  and not sure why you can't make the phone go back to sleep to tell you the truth.I will see if  I can find out why....

An update here, early 7970 phone development power conservation was not concern, so no thought in to making phone go to sleep. Yu can press/hold the wake button to clean the display. Product manager for 797x phone has seen your comment now.

3. Hot Desking:

Is there a way to enable or allow Hot Desking? For example user (A) leaves their desk and jumps on User (F) desk and presses the log-in button on the screen, enters their EXT number and Pin, and then User (B) logs onto User (A) phone and User (F) Logs onto user (B).. Did i confuse you yet???

This questions is also being asked a lot of me, and since i have never configured this before i am not sure if it is enabled or allowable, or even can be done, i have to tender a quote for a system that can do that, before i look at a competing system to quote i need to be sure that the Cisco can not do this, i honestly do not want to sell another companies product, so i fthe Cisco can do a simple task like this i would be a happy man.

ronlewis- some options here, CLI config of Extension Mobility exists today, which is typical Hot Desking feature. CCA will have this feature in an upcoming release. Till then, this means CLI only support for this feature, which means limited SBSC Support.

Some details to read more; http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmemobl.html#wpmkr1130585

BACD agents or any phone really can also login/out of hunt groups to take calls. This is different then Extension Mobility described above.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmecover.html#wp1096443

4. Contrast Control on the 7970's:

Is there any reason as to why there is no contrast control in the 7970 phones? The screens on these phones require tweaking as they are not as clear as the 75's or even the 65's, however the product description describes them as a high quality colour screen, when really they come no where near matching the quality of the 45/65 & 75 phones, however being able to adjust or calibrate the contrast could assist with making these phones present a little better.

ronlewis The 7970 was earlier model then the 7945/65 models, so the display is older generation. A contrast control should be present under phone settings.

I check this, 7970 does have contrast, but the newer 7945/65 phones do not, as they are TFT display, so contrast is grayed out, by design.

5. CCA Upgrading procedure:

I could be missing something here, and possibly doing something wrong, but is there any reason as to why when upgrading to version 8 (And previous versions) we have to upgrade the IOS and the CUE to then only have to go through another longer procedure to upgrade the CUE to UK audio? Is it not possible to have a US and UK English version of the software pack so we only have to do one upgrade at a time? It is time consuming and takes far to long to just do an upgrade, i have thought about modifying the software pack to be able to do this, but in the past this has been a hit and miss thing, plus i do not like modifying releases to an unsupported format, it would be good to just do things as they were intended for in their release... Is this a hard thing to do?

ronlewis - This is a known pain point. We have on the CCA roadmap to make managing localizations much easier, which would eliminate this issue.

if you want to just update the UC500/IOS release, you can pull the image file from the SW Pack, drag and drop on to the UC500 in CCA and just upgrade the IOS this way. The next release of CCA will be much faster in doing upgrades also.

Hope this helps,

Ron Lewis

Cisco

Hi Ron,

Love the answers LOVEM :)

Thanks for taking the time to respond, it is good to see that some suggestions are on the minds of the Cisco Dev team.

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *