Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco VPN client "Start Before Logon" fails

ivominkov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am experiencing the following weird behavior from Cisco VPN client on one of our Microsoft XP SP3 laptops. The “Start Before Logon” feature only works once after the first reboot. If I disable it and enable it again it works for one time. I tried reinstalling the client but the same thing again. Is any body familiar with this issue?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

nchsystems
Level 1
Level 1

I get exactly the same problem.

I have a HP 6710b laptop with Windows XP SP3 running Cisco VPN Client 5.0.06.0160 and it behaves exactly the same (appears before logon only after the first reboot).  Did you manage to get anywhere with this?

I've had this happen on a number of laptops in the past and have never managed to get a fix.

Thanks.

James

I managed to sort my own problem using the link below: -

https://community.mcafee.com/message/111425

We have McAfee Safeboot Encryption enabled on all our laptops and my problem was specifically related to the GINA changes that both Safeboot and Cisco VPN carry out in the registry.  I simply edited my registry so it had the following entries: -

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client]
"PreviousGinaPath"="MSGina.dll"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"SB-OrigGinaDLL"="CSGina.dll"
"GinaDLL"="C:\\Program Files\\SafeBoot\\SBGINA.DLL"

Start before logon now works fine.

Hope this is of some use to someone having a similar issue.

James

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: