Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE VLAN mapping in Bridge Mode question

RAMAN AZIZIAN
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

My question  is in regard to using ACE Bridge mode to transition the current network to provide SLB.

To my understanding the purpose of "Bridge Mode" was to be able to bring up the network in SLB without having to make too many changes to the current vlan and ip address scheme used. The customers real servers are in the same subnet.

My lab setup has worked the other way, meaning I had to place the Severs in a different VLAN, which would require me to make changes to the port vlan configuration.

This is the lab setup I have (please see attached Configs)

Current Server VLAN (300) --- Bridged ----- Client VLAN (30, new)

IP address 192.168.1.1 (SVI L3 ip on the Sup)

RS1, 192.168.1.13, RS2192.168.1.17

BVI: .5

VIP: .10

Outside Client IP address:

172.16.30.10, 172.16.30.15 /24

With using the current VLAN 300 assigned to the servers, I can ping the VIP address from the (outside) client network host , but When I put in the VIP address I can not bring up the simple web page I have setup. I can go directly to the RS1, and RS2, and I am able to bring up the web page.

I had wireshark running in the background and I would never see the request coming in for the VIP address.

I swaped the VLAN number scheme, and It works fine.

Is this how the bridge mode is supposed to work? If this is the case, then I would need to change all the current vlan port configs that the severs are assigned to.

Please let me know if I am doing this wrong and provide any feedback/suggestion .

As always thanks in advance for your time.

Raman Azizian

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In bridge mode the loadbalancer (ACE) must be inserted between the servers and their gateway (MSFC).

The servers must be on one vlan and the gateway on another vlan and the loadbalancer bridge the 2 vlan.

In your working scenario the servers are in vlan 30 and the MSFC in vlan 300.

In the non-working scenario the servers and the gateway are all in vlan 300.  This will fail because communication will bypass the loadbalancer.

You have to either change the server's vlan or the gateway's vlan.

IP addressing will stay the same however.

Gilles.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

RAMAN AZIZIAN
Level 1
Level 1

Please ignore the initial post with the configs attached. I made a couple of mistakes.

The updated files are attached.

In bridge mode the loadbalancer (ACE) must be inserted between the servers and their gateway (MSFC).

The servers must be on one vlan and the gateway on another vlan and the loadbalancer bridge the 2 vlan.

In your working scenario the servers are in vlan 30 and the MSFC in vlan 300.

In the non-working scenario the servers and the gateway are all in vlan 300.  This will fail because communication will bypass the loadbalancer.

You have to either change the server's vlan or the gateway's vlan.

IP addressing will stay the same however.

Gilles.

Gilles,

That worked! I swapped back to the original config, moved my L3 VLAN address from 300 to 30, Moved the RServers to VLAN 300, and I was able to hit the VIP/Web address.

Thanks for your help.

Raman