Views
Helpful
Replies

Trapping from Cisco switches and routers

Kevin Melton
Level 2
Level 2

I am setting up some trapping to our Net mgmt station from our

Cisco devices.  There sure are a lot of trap options that can be configured on the Cisco Swiches and routers.

I wondered if there was a de facto list anywhere that anyone has devised for a standard trap config list (perhaps one that rules out all of the minor stuff but lets you know when there is a major issue that you would want to know about?

If anyone has or knows the whereabouts of such a list, please let me know.

Thanks

Kevin

3 Replies 3

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't think this is one inclusive recommended list.  The reason being is that what might be minor to some (e.g.hsrp) may be major to others.  So it really depends on the protocols and technologies being used by individual devices.  In general, though, I would recommend SNMP authentication failures, linkup, linkdown, cold and warmstart, all envmon traps, and config traps.  Make sure you only enable linkup and down traps on interfaces which should not be going up and down frequently (i.e. do not enable these traps on end user ports).

Some other NMS-related traps are event-manager and ipsla.  These are important to enable if you will be using the Embedded Event Manager and IP SLA features on your devices.

I do think your answer is a fair answer and I appreciate your response.  I do have IP SLA configured on

one of my routers, so I may have to trap that feature on that box.

I guess I should set up trapping for the configs too.  Would you recommend having alerts fire to notify when the configuration traps are received?

What about alerts for the SNMP traps?

Thanks

Kevin

I'm not sure what you mean by alerts.  Are you asking about notifications from your NMS when certain traps are received (e.g. pages, emails, etc.)?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco