cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 3000 switch and 802.1q tunneling

fkcollett
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to purchase an industrial ethernet switch for a remote facility that does not have the proper environmental conditions for a commercial grade switch.  In environmentally conditioned facilities I use a 3560G.  Two of the SFP ports are used to create a 2G channel back to a 6500 in the MDF location.  One of the Gig ports is configured as a 802.1q tunnel and the client connects their switch to that port.

Ideally I would like to have an IE switch with 3 Gig ports but Cisco doesn't seem to have one.

So, my question is this:

Can I configure one of the 100M ports as an 802.1q tunnel or is that capability limited to Gig ports?

Thanks for the assistance.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fkcollett wrote:

I am looking to purchase an industrial ethernet switch for a remote facility that does not have the proper environmental conditions for a commercial grade switch.  In environmentally conditioned facilities I use a 3560G.  Two of the SFP ports are used to create a 2G channel back to a 6500 in the MDF location.  One of the Gig ports is configured as a 802.1q tunnel and the client connects their switch to that port.

Ideally I would like to have an IE switch with 3 Gig ports but Cisco doesn't seem to have one.

So, my question is this:

Can I configure one of the 100M ports as an 802.1q tunnel or is that capability limited to Gig ports?

Thanks for the assistance.

Frederick

Could you just clarify - do you mean 802.1q tunneling or do you just mean 802.1q trunk ? 802.1q trunks will run on fast ethernet ports.

Jon

I do mean 802.1q tunneling.  We are using q in q tunneling across a MAN to keep private networks private.

fkcollett wrote:

I do mean 802.1q tunneling.  We are using q in q tunneling across a MAN to keep private networks private.

Okay. The configuration guide makes no mention of a restriction in the speed of interface you can use. There are restrictions but speed is not one of them -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie3000/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1010370

Jon

Yeah, I saw that.

What I've learned in 14 years with Cisco Equipment is that if it's not explicitly stated I need to question it.

I can't have my client purchase the equipment and have it not work.

I guess I'll throw it to TAC.

Thanks,

Fred Collett

CCIE 6383

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: