cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IE 3000 switch and 802.1q tunneling

fkcollett
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to purchase an industrial ethernet switch for a remote facility that does not have the proper environmental conditions for a commercial grade switch.  In environmentally conditioned facilities I use a 3560G.  Two of the SFP ports are used to create a 2G channel back to a 6500 in the MDF location.  One of the Gig ports is configured as a 802.1q tunnel and the client connects their switch to that port.

Ideally I would like to have an IE switch with 3 Gig ports but Cisco doesn't seem to have one.

So, my question is this:

Can I configure one of the 100M ports as an 802.1q tunnel or is that capability limited to Gig ports?

Thanks for the assistance.

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

fkcollett wrote:

I am looking to purchase an industrial ethernet switch for a remote facility that does not have the proper environmental conditions for a commercial grade switch.  In environmentally conditioned facilities I use a 3560G.  Two of the SFP ports are used to create a 2G channel back to a 6500 in the MDF location.  One of the Gig ports is configured as a 802.1q tunnel and the client connects their switch to that port.

Ideally I would like to have an IE switch with 3 Gig ports but Cisco doesn't seem to have one.

So, my question is this:

Can I configure one of the 100M ports as an 802.1q tunnel or is that capability limited to Gig ports?

Thanks for the assistance.

Frederick

Could you just clarify - do you mean 802.1q tunneling or do you just mean 802.1q trunk ? 802.1q trunks will run on fast ethernet ports.

Jon

I do mean 802.1q tunneling.  We are using q in q tunneling across a MAN to keep private networks private.

fkcollett wrote:

I do mean 802.1q tunneling.  We are using q in q tunneling across a MAN to keep private networks private.

Okay. The configuration guide makes no mention of a restriction in the speed of interface you can use. There are restrictions but speed is not one of them -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/cisco_ie3000/software/release/12.2_52_se/configuration/guide/swtunnel.html#wp1010370

Jon

Yeah, I saw that.

What I've learned in 14 years with Cisco Equipment is that if it's not explicitly stated I need to question it.

I can't have my client purchase the equipment and have it not work.

I guess I'll throw it to TAC.

Thanks,

Fred Collett

CCIE 6383

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card