Views
Helpful
Replies

Don't Get Notification when schedule meeting with web base

alis.tommy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Anyone have experince with MPX 2.x with Exchange 2007.

I don't get email notification when schedule meeting with web base.

But get notification when schedule meeting with Outlook.

From the MPX 2.x log.

POC: Retries failed, Check Mail server configuration

and there's is outbox queue.

Any advice

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Greetings,

The reason notifications are working when you create the meeting via Outlook is that the MPE system is not sending the notification.  I know the documentation may read that way but the actual notifications are using the standard calandering feature in Exchange 2007.

Now, when you create a meeting from the MPE web interface the notification is sent by the MPE system.  I recommend that you take a look at the following:

1. Ensure that you have a MeetingPlace services account (e.g. mpesvc) created in your AD environment

2. This service account requires a mailbox on your Exchange 2007 system.   The account requires "send-as" permissions if the Exchange server is configured to disable anonymous access via SMTP

3. If your Exchange front end/client access server requires a certificate then export a DER encoded X.509 cert from Exchange and import it into MPE (MPE does not support self-signed or unsigned certs but does support intermediate certs)

3. Configure a SMTP mail relay server

4. Ensure that the mail relay server will allow the MPE host to send e-mail (assuming that your relay server has host filtering.  You will also want to make sure any network ACLs or firewall rules that exist to allow SMTP communication)

5. Associate your user groups or users with the appropriate E-mail type (you see this on the user profile or group profile page)

Basically, when MPE is responsible for sending the notification (i.e. you created the meeting in the MPE web interface) it will look at the "Email Type" parameter for the attendee (assuming the attendee is a MPE user).  Non-MPE users will use the E-mail type assigned to the guest account (which should be SMTP).  Once MPE identifies the E-mail type it will then attempt to send the notification.  If Email Type is Exchange, then MPE attempts to (a) relay via SMTP through exchange or (b) use OWA to send on the conference owner's behalf.  This last part is key and is why you will want to give the MPE user account "Send As" permissions in your Exchange environment if you don't have SMTP relay enabled on the Exchange server you configured in MPE.   If Email Type is SMTP or other then the SMTP server you configure in the MPE "Email Configuration" is used.

I believe there is a "Test" option when you set up the Exchange but if I recall correctly this is just checking naming resolution and IP and is not actually sending an e-mail to verify application functionality.

It is key that any network ACLs and firewall filters are modified to allow communication from MPE to your various E-mail relay servers.  You also want to make sure that accounts are in-sync and that passwords are correct.  You can test this on Exchange by going to your OWA page and logging on as the MPE service account.

When testing, I like to have one user setup for SMTP and another for Exchange.  That way have a controlled account to test with.

Also, I have found that even if a user is an Exchange user you can configure their MPE user with the E-mail type of SMTP/other and everything will still function.  Sounds counter intuitive but if you think of each task MPE is performing as a separate siloed task then it isn't much of a stretch to think you can use the MPE Outlook plugin even when your account doesn't have the Exchange E-mail type.  It definitely works.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Greetings,

The reason notifications are working when you create the meeting via Outlook is that the MPE system is not sending the notification.  I know the documentation may read that way but the actual notifications are using the standard calandering feature in Exchange 2007.

Now, when you create a meeting from the MPE web interface the notification is sent by the MPE system.  I recommend that you take a look at the following:

1. Ensure that you have a MeetingPlace services account (e.g. mpesvc) created in your AD environment

2. This service account requires a mailbox on your Exchange 2007 system.   The account requires "send-as" permissions if the Exchange server is configured to disable anonymous access via SMTP

3. If your Exchange front end/client access server requires a certificate then export a DER encoded X.509 cert from Exchange and import it into MPE (MPE does not support self-signed or unsigned certs but does support intermediate certs)

3. Configure a SMTP mail relay server

4. Ensure that the mail relay server will allow the MPE host to send e-mail (assuming that your relay server has host filtering.  You will also want to make sure any network ACLs or firewall rules that exist to allow SMTP communication)

5. Associate your user groups or users with the appropriate E-mail type (you see this on the user profile or group profile page)

Basically, when MPE is responsible for sending the notification (i.e. you created the meeting in the MPE web interface) it will look at the "Email Type" parameter for the attendee (assuming the attendee is a MPE user).  Non-MPE users will use the E-mail type assigned to the guest account (which should be SMTP).  Once MPE identifies the E-mail type it will then attempt to send the notification.  If Email Type is Exchange, then MPE attempts to (a) relay via SMTP through exchange or (b) use OWA to send on the conference owner's behalf.  This last part is key and is why you will want to give the MPE user account "Send As" permissions in your Exchange environment if you don't have SMTP relay enabled on the Exchange server you configured in MPE.   If Email Type is SMTP or other then the SMTP server you configure in the MPE "Email Configuration" is used.

I believe there is a "Test" option when you set up the Exchange but if I recall correctly this is just checking naming resolution and IP and is not actually sending an e-mail to verify application functionality.

It is key that any network ACLs and firewall filters are modified to allow communication from MPE to your various E-mail relay servers.  You also want to make sure that accounts are in-sync and that passwords are correct.  You can test this on Exchange by going to your OWA page and logging on as the MPE service account.

When testing, I like to have one user setup for SMTP and another for Exchange.  That way have a controlled account to test with.

Also, I have found that even if a user is an Exchange user you can configure their MPE user with the E-mail type of SMTP/other and everything will still function.  Sounds counter intuitive but if you think of each task MPE is performing as a separate siloed task then it isn't much of a stretch to think you can use the MPE Outlook plugin even when your account doesn't have the Exchange E-mail type.  It definitely works.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

hi thx william,

the problem resolve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: