cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 4507R switch SUP V Uplink cable connectivity to Core

gecfservicing
Level 1
Level 1

Hi we have Catalyst 4507R switch with 2 SUP V modules in slots 1 and 2 . These switches are placed in the Access layer . We have a 2 Cat 6509 switches at Core . Currently we have Cat 4507R Uplinks connected to core in this manner .

1/1 --->   6509-1 5/2

1/2 --->   6509-2 6/2

There are no cables connected to Standby SUP V in 4507 i.e 2/1 and 2/2 are free .

If the Active SUp in slot1 fails and the Standby SUP in slot2 becomes active the Uplinks would go down beacuse there are no cables connected to the Core ?

If so do we need to connect cables to 2/1 and 2/2 to the Core as well ?

Please suggest .....

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

in recent installations of 4507R switches we have been able to use two uplinks:

one on active supervisor and one on standby supervisor with SSO strategy

Mod  Redundancy role     Operating mode      Redundancy status
----+-------------------+-------------------+----------------------------------
3   Active Supervisor   SSO                 Active                           
4   Standby Supervisor  SSO                 Standby hot

sh cdp n | inc Ten
                 Ten 3/1           166             R S I  WS-C6509- Ten 3/4
                 Ten 4/1           176             R S I  WS-C6509- Ten 3/4

in my case they are two SupII+10 GE

I would suggest you to move one uplink to standby supervisor so without increasing the number of links

you can achieve redundancy of links and supervisors.

It is interesting that link on standby supervisor is active and can be used as a L2 trunk port

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guislar,

Thanks for the reply .

So as you said we can move one cable on the Active SUP port which is not in STP forwarding state to the Standby SUP port 2/1 .

After doing that the interface 2/1  would show up or it will remain in the down state only ?

And whenevr the port 1/1 fails or its cable connected to it fails the port 2/1 would be able to take the traffic ? or any additional configuration is required to achieve that

Hello,

before doing anything verify that SSO is active and working with

sh redundancy

or looking at the end of

sh module

>>

>>After doing that the interface 2/1  would show up or it will remain in the down state only ?

it will up and can be used for some vlans

>>And whenevr the port 1/1 fails or its cable connected to it fails the port 2/1 would be able to take the traffic ?

yes

we tested this with Sup II+10GE but it is reasonable to happen also with your Sup V

there are some commands in newer supervisors to choice between 10GE and 1GE ports in groups.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps2797/ps6033/product_data_sheet0900aecd801c5c66_ps4324_Products_Data_Sheet.html

reports a table with uplink options with different types of L3 supervisors.

It reports options only for the active supervisor.

So this is a point of attention that requires further investigations

the datasheet for Sup II-10GE reports a similar table

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps4324/product_data_sheet0900aecd80356bde.html

So I'm confident it should work but I would suggest to perform a test on a single device in a maintanance time window for safety.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: