Views
Helpful
Replies

Licencing question - running LMS on 2 servers

j.jeater
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We need to move our CiscoWorks LMS onto another server ideally with the minimum amount of downtime.  The plan is to set up a new server and have both servers running in tandem until the old server is switched off.

Is it possible using the same licence?

Also the current version is 3.0.1 and we'd liek to go to 3.2, are the licences compatible?

There are about 170 devices so it will be too big for the evaluation version.

Thanks,

Jim.

5 Replies 5

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A license issued for LMS 3.0 can be used for LMS 3.2. I have done this myself and others posting here have done so also.

I'm not sure about using the same license file to license two servers, albeit in a transitional mode. There isn't any tie-in to the hostid as with some server-based programs but I don't know that Cisco doesn't have any other checks to ensure uniqueness of a license-host relationship.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a try see what happens.  I'll post my findings in case anyone else wants to try this.

Jim.

clark.ford
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the same situation, presently running version 3.1 on solaris with a 1500 device licence but have created a new ver 3.2 in evaluation mode on a VMware server as there is no migration path from Solaris to VMware.

I'd like to apply my licence to the VMware server as evaluation mode restricts you to 100 devices,  but don't want to adversely affect my production solaris box.

Can I do this? or will I have to suspend my solaris server to allow the VMware server to use the licence?

Yeah, it worked fine, we just copied the licence file from the old server to the new one and it took it fine.  No errors or problems with the old server.

Jim.

clark.ford
Level 1
Level 1

Cheers Jim, much appreciated.

I'll apply the licence to my vmware server and once I'm satisfied that all is running smoothly I'll shut down my old solaris box.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: