Swapping NSS2000

Unanswered Question
Feb 17th, 2010

I have an NSS2000 chassis with 2 x 500GB drives configured in RAID 1. What is the procedure for swapping the drives to a new chassis without losing data?

Best Regards

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Alejandro Gallego Thu, 02/18/2010 - 06:11

Welcome to the Cisco community!

As long as the FW version on both boxes is the same you should not have any problems, so check that first. Save your configuration of the old NSS to a USB flash drive then just power down the NSS and transfer the drives (both boxes powered off) to the new box. After powering up the new unit restore your configuration file and reboot. You should not have to do anything else.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

corrected procedure.

neilraffan Thu, 02/18/2010 - 08:17

Thank you!

Two things -

Firstly I seem to remember that when I initially powered up the first unit it automatically formatted the drives and created the RAID - this would obviously be bad when transferring disks to the new chassis!

Secondly, I tried saving the config to the hard disk, but cannot see where it has put the config file (*). I note that you recommend using a USB stick. Do you restore the config to the new drive before or after transferring disks (or does it matter)?

Best Regards

(*) - On the Admin->Configuration page the only option I have for 'Stored Configuration Location' in the drop down box is 'RAIDA - DATA'; where RAIDA is the name of the RAID, and DATA is the name of the volume.