cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6500 6513 - Difference in sup-bootflash and bootflash

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

Can anyone explain the difference between sup-bootflash and bootflash?

When I run dir on both of those I get the same amount of available space, 65536000 bytes but I have different files in both locations.  So they look to be different... ??

Thanks,
Tommy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When I run dir on both of those I get the same amount of available space, 65536000 bytes but I have different files in both locations.  So they look to be different... ??

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

In cisco IOS the bootflash on the supervisor is refered to as sup-bootflash and the bootflash on the MSFC is just  bootflash.  In CatOS since the SP and RP are configured seperatly the bootflash on the supervisor is just bootflash and the bootflash on the MSFC is still bootflash.

So in CatOS you can use the sup-bootflash it is just called the bootflash.

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Tommy,

within a sup720 there are actually two bootflash:

one bootflash is on supervisor

one bootflash is on MSFC

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Thanks,
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

In cisco IOS the bootflash on the supervisor is refered to as sup-bootflash and the bootflash on the MSFC is just  bootflash.  In CatOS since the SP and RP are configured seperatly the bootflash on the supervisor is just bootflash and the bootflash on the MSFC is still bootflash.

So in CatOS you can use the sup-bootflash it is just called the bootflash.

Hope to help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

What would be stored on the MSFC bootflash?  I think I remember something about best practices is

to load a smal bootldr micro code there just in case the IOS images failed.  The older sup cards that was mandatory, I think.

Thanks,
Tommy

You don't have to load anything into bootflash: (MSFC). I have done multiple install and just load the IOS into sup-bootflash: (SUP).

HTH,

jerry

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

On all the newer 720 supervisors all your code is loaded from sup-bootflash because the boot process loads the l2 supervisor first and then hands of the load to the l3 msfc partway thru the boot process .   They probably don't need it on the msf anymore but they aren't much different  than the old hybrid boxes other than they use a combined IOS now , you still have a supervisor and a msfc...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card