Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Make a trace to an IP set

Hi guys, I wonder if you can help me.

I have a CM 7 and want to trace a particular set, see what he is dialing, status, etc.

I tried to open the "View RealTime" but a lot of messages are flooding the monitor.

Is there a way to trace a set and see what is doing - dialing, signaling, etc - ?

If so can you tell me how?

Please help me.

Best Regards,

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Drop the idea of looking at them real time, not even TAC does that with the amount of information that you get from a single call. Now imagine how it would look in a live system without any kind of filtering.

Make the call, download the txt and review it

Set Up Cisco CallManager Traces for Cisco Technical Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml

If you're not familiar with CUCM traces nevermind the SDL traces right now, just look at the SDI traces (like the one i posted, it's also a small part of the whole line).

There is no specific method to find the TCPid, i just search for dd=" (dialed digits), that line will contain the calling number and i start searching above those lines for the keypad presses.

If you know the time they started the call you can easilly find it based on other data, but i guess the above would be the easiest if you're not familiar with traces.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

I am with Java on this one.  The only way to make real time tracing useful is to tail the trace file and grep for the strings you want to monitor on the screen.  RTMT's "live" trace isn't able to do that type of dynamic filtering and I have found that it doesn't refresh the way I would like anyway.

In most cases where you want to dissect a trace, you can setup your call scenario, note the time stamp, execute the call scenario, and then collect the traces using RTMT.  Once you have the trace files, use notepad++ or some other text editor to view.  I prefer notepad++ because for the reasons Java and I eluded to in earlier posts.  It is a very powerful, yet simple text editor.

Now, actually dissecting a trace and getting to the bottom of an issue is a whole other matter.  It just takes practice.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can configure your trace settings for the Call Manager service to do Device Name based tracing and focus on the device you wish to monitor.  You still get messages not directly related to the device but it will be an improvement over what you are looking at now.

Check this URL:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/service/7_0_1/admin_master/satrace.html#wp1130143

And look at the procedures in that section.

I have also found that pulling the trace file down to my PC and using an application like notepad++ to be helpful in filtering traces and getting the meat of the matter.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Just to add something to Bill's great advise, the easiest way to find out what a phone is doing is just to locate the TCPid from the trace and then just mark them.

I also use Notepad++ to review traces, very nice tool since you can choose it and mark all the occurrences which makes life a lot easier.

I won't paste a whole call but you can understand what's happening by just reading this:

StationInit: (0202468) OffHook.

StationD:    (0202468) DisplayPromptStatus timeOut=0 Status='€ ' content='Enter Number'

StationD:    (0202468) StartTone tone=33(InsideDialTone)

StationInit: (0202468) KeypadButton kpButton=0.

StationD:    (0202468) StopTone.

You can also tell if the message is coming from the phone or from CUCM with the above, just look carefully.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi, thanks for the reply. I just have one difficulty that I'm trying to see the logs on real time. I activated the traces and only selected two sets to be traced and then went to real time monitor chose the callmanger site and then sdl tarce and start making a call.

The output is like that:

000031429| 2010/02/18 09:14:38.621| 001| SdlSig    | StationMediaPathEvent                 | restart0                      | StationD(1,100,40,3)            | StationInit(1,100,39,1)         | (1,100,39,1).15161-(SEP0024C4BE2909:192.168.253.102)| [R:LP - HP: 0, NP: 0, LP: 0, VLP: 0, LZP: 0 DBP: 0]ID=3 Event=1
000031430| 2010/02/18 09:14:41.547| 001| SdlSig    | ReapOldTokenRegistrationsTimer        | wait                          | SIPStationInit(1,100,46,1)      | SdlTimerService(1,100,3,1)      | (1,100,113,1).1-(*:*)                   | [R:HP - HP: 0, NP: 0, LP: 0, VLP: 0, LZP: 0 DBP: 0]
000031431| 2010/02/18 09:14:41.607| 001| SdlSig    | DeviceEventReceiptMonitoringTimer     | wait                          | StationInit(1,100,39,1)         | SdlTimerService(1,100,3,1)      | (1,100,113,1).1-(*:*)                   | [R:HP - HP: 0, NP: 0, LP: 0, VLP: 0, LZP: 0 DBP: 0]

This is a smal portion of the info that apperas on the screen.

I tried to collect the trace file but I have a problem, after I chose the CM Service Call manager I press next and then I don't know which service I chose to download the trace related to the sets.

Can you help me? Also can you tell me how to find the TCP id of a set?

My CM is 7.

PS: I came from the PBX world and I'm use to trace sets and see his status individualy and CallManager is much different related to this issue.

Best Regards,

Jose Carlos

Drop the idea of looking at them real time, not even TAC does that with the amount of information that you get from a single call. Now imagine how it would look in a live system without any kind of filtering.

Make the call, download the txt and review it

Set Up Cisco CallManager Traces for Cisco Technical Support

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a0080094e89.shtml

If you're not familiar with CUCM traces nevermind the SDL traces right now, just look at the SDI traces (like the one i posted, it's also a small part of the whole line).

There is no specific method to find the TCPid, i just search for dd=" (dialed digits), that line will contain the calling number and i start searching above those lines for the keypad presses.

If you know the time they started the call you can easilly find it based on other data, but i guess the above would be the easiest if you're not familiar with traces.

HTH

java

HTH

java

I am with Java on this one.  The only way to make real time tracing useful is to tail the trace file and grep for the strings you want to monitor on the screen.  RTMT's "live" trace isn't able to do that type of dynamic filtering and I have found that it doesn't refresh the way I would like anyway.

In most cases where you want to dissect a trace, you can setup your call scenario, note the time stamp, execute the call scenario, and then collect the traces using RTMT.  Once you have the trace files, use notepad++ or some other text editor to view.  I prefer notepad++ because for the reasons Java and I eluded to in earlier posts.  It is a very powerful, yet simple text editor.

Now, actually dissecting a trace and getting to the bottom of an issue is a whole other matter.  It just takes practice.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Thanks guys for all your help.

I did not saw the SDI trace when I collected the files from the CCM, only the SDL file, but, maybe, I made something wrong.

I will try again.

Hope not need, often, to use the debug or I will lose the rest of my hair.

On the Nortel world, debugging is easier and more direct - not so many garbage.

Best Regards,

Jose Carlos

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: