3750 stacks

Unanswered Question
Feb 17th, 2010

I have two 3750 stacks. I'm going to be merging them together. What happens to the configs of both stacks? Are they combined? is one over written?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
jfraasch Wed, 02/17/2010 - 11:34

My experience is that when a switch is renumbered to a new number in a stack, its config gets wiped away.

Just copy the config of each switch to a file and then paste it back (after changing port numbers) in after they all come back up.

Also be sure to check the code on each switch.  The master will usually push its IOS out to the slaves automatically.

Hope that helps.

6tgreene Wed, 02/17/2010 - 11:41

Hi thanks for your reply, just to follow up I have a stack with 3 switches I'm removing the first two. The 3rd isnt going to be toughed. I'm adding two swiches that are going to be 1, and 2. If I have a config on the 3rd switch will that config copy over to the new config of the stack I'm merging in.

jfraasch Wed, 02/17/2010 - 12:01

I think that should be fine. Although, I would get in that third switch and unprovision the orignal two so that when you do a show switch you only see that switch..  That way when you reconnect it to the new stack it will automatically discover them.

Be sure to double check the priority on the switches so you know who will be master.  Personally, if I can, I like to power on the switches in the same order as they are in the stack.  Power master/switch 1 first then 2 then 3.  I have had fun trying to renumber switches in stack after all heck broke lose due to not configuring switch stack priority before powering everything up.

But like I said, as long as you don't have to renumber the switch then you should be fine. Your trick will be ensuring that that switch will still be switch #3 in the new stack.  I'd give the master priority 14 (leave 15 open in case something comes up in the future) then switch 2 priority 10 then switch 3 priority 0 to ensure the numbering.  And then boot them in that order.

Changing priority does not require a reboot of a switch but changing switch number does.

This Discussion