cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Remarks won't go away in IOS ACL's.. bug?

gshearer72
Level 1
Level 1

myrouter(config)#no ip access-list extended TEST
myrouter(config)#ip access-list extended TEST
myrouter(config-ext-nacl)#remark This is a test.
Duplicate remark statement
myrouter(config-ext-nacl)#exit
myrouter(config-ext-nacl)#remark wtf ?

Grumble... Note that this is a cisco 3620 running IOS 12.4(25b)

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

myrouter(config-ext-nacl)#exit
myrouter(config-ext-nacl)#remark wtf ?

Grumble... Note that this is a cisco 3620 running IOS 12.4(25b)

Hi,

Your are deleteting the acl not the remark state ment separetly to delete a remark statement use no remark remark

check out the below link hope that help

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0t/12_0t2/feature/guide/comment.html

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Huh?

"no ip access-list XXXX" is supposed to completely delete the ACL from running-config.

Shouldn't that include any remark's that were also in the ACL? 

To me, "completely deleting the ACL from running-config" means.. EVERYTHING in the ACL...

Am I missing something?

-G

Huh?

"no ip access-list XXXX" is supposed to completely delete the ACL from running-config.

Shouldn't that include any remark's that were also in the ACL? 

To me, "completely deleting the ACL from running-config" means.. EVERYTHING in the ACL...

Am I missing something?

-G

Have you seen the link which i have posted earlier in my post and if you delete the acl it will only deletes the acl not the remark statement which was bound to the ACL.

That why you are getting a duplicate error for remark in your original post,Just try the remark statement and then check your query is cleared.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Yes, I've seen the URL you provided, and I've seen the same documentation in many other sources. It explains nicely how to specify a remark after or before an ACE, WHILE You're making the ACL. However, it doesn't say anything about wiping out all remarks in an ACL, nor does it specify how to insert a remark at a specific point within an existing ACL. I assume this is not possible since the remark statement doesn't have a line number argument.

Let's say you have a very long ACL with many ACE's and remarks. Are you saying that the only way to completely remove the ACL and it's remarks, is to first, individually remove each remark statement, then follow that up with a 'no' form of the 'ip access-list' command ?

Really?

-G

How about this.  Copy the latest running-config/startup-config to your PC.  Using MS Wordpad (do NOT use Notepad), open the file and remove the "remarks" line.  Save the file and upload it back to your appliance using the command "copy tftp://IP Address/filename running-config".

When you believe that the problem has been rectified, save the config.

Does this help?

leolaahoo,

I think most network nerds like me have various tools on their PC's to do things like that. I have tons of little awk/perl scripts that I use to save typing. (Do you really use Windows or were you joking)

-G

Yes, I've seen the URL you provided, and I've seen the same documentation in many other sources. It explains nicely how to specify a remark after or before an ACE, WHILE You're making the ACL. However, it doesn't say anything about wiping out all remarks in an ACL, nor does it specify how to insert a remark at a specific point within an existing ACL. I assume this is not possible since the remark statement doesn't have a line number argument.

Let's say you have a very long ACL with many ACE's and remarks. Are you saying that the only way to completely remove the ACL and it's remarks, is to first, individually remove each remark statement, then follow that up with a 'no' form of the 'ip access-list' command ?

Really?

-G

Hi,

I have simulated the same configuration steps as per the original post and yes you are right if we delete the whole acl staement remark also get deleted, I got the error first time as duplicate remark statement are there in your configuration.

ip access-list extended TEST
remark This is a test.
remark This is a test. -- Duplicate statement error  i got here  but once i perform the below commands i never got any duplicate error statement i have performed and tested on 3700 series  with ios advant enterprise ios.

no ip access-list extended TEST
ip access-list extended TEST
remark This is a test.

Maybe just for try rather deleting the whole ACL try just deleting the remark statement first and then check.

Hope that Help !!

Ganesh.H

ganeshh,

I can reproduce the issue on any router running that IOS release as I posted in my original message. You can not?  The first post in this thread was an exact cut/paste of what I see. Can you show yours including the router prompts and IOS version?

I believe this to be a bug.

-G

Confirmed.. I'm not having this issue on other IOS devices on a different version. This is a bug. I'll complain to TAC, but i'm betting they already know.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: