Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS3.2 - Service Temporarily Unavailable

Tim Davies
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there

Our Windows Cisco Works Server ran out of disk space, I freed up some space and rebooted the server. After I restarted the server I now get the following message when trying to use a web browser to connect -

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

Eventualy I then just get "page cannot be displayed"

I have tried restarting the services using -

net stop crmdmgtd

net start crmdmgtd

Any help on how to start troubleshooting this would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Tim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You appear to have found a neat bug.  Within the UT servlet code which handles UTU, if an error occurs running the DB query, the serlvet will kill Tomcat.  If you open a TAC service request, and have your engineer contact me directly, I will provide you a patch.

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Tim Davies
Level 1
Level 1

After increasing the virtual memory and performing another server reboot I can now connect to Cisco Works using a web browser.

Cisco Works seems to function fine until I attempt a search using the "User Tracking Utility" and then the "Tomcat Servlet Engine Service" stops and then I can no longer browse to the server, I get the service temporarily unavailable message again. Cisco Works seems to function fine until I attempt to use the User Tracking Utility and then this causes the Tomcat Servlet Engine service to stop.

Any ideas?

Post the NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/logs/stdout.log and stderr.log.

Thanks for the reply, log files attached.

When were these logs captured?  I don't see any problems here.  You need to reproduce the problem, then immediately capture the logs before restarting anything.

Sorry, yes they were captured after a restart.

I have reproduced the problem and uploaded the new logs.

Post the output of the pdshow command before and after reproducing this problem.

Please find the requested files attached.

Over the weekend the Cisco Works backup also reported the following -

"Backup failed on 2010/02/20 at 20:46:19. REASON: Fatal error: Database engine 'rmengEng' could not be started on database 'rmengdb' in Bulk mode.."

This may be relevant?

Check the Windows Event Viewer for errors when the Tomcat service stops.  Also, search the file system for hs_err* files.

As for the RME problem, your RME database (or its transaction log) is corrupt.  You should start a new thread for that issue.

The following event is logged when the TomCat service stops -

"The Java Virtual Machine has exited with a code of 0, the service is being stopped."

There is also the following errror straight after the TomCat service starts up -

" The Apache service named  reported the following error: >>> [Mon Feb 22 10:32:20 2010] [warn] The Alias directive in C:/Program Files/CSCOpx/MDC/Apache/conf/cmf-app.conf at line 8 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier Alias.     ."

I have attached hs_errr* files however these are date stamped 2009 so not sure if they are relevant.

You appear to have found a neat bug.  Within the UT servlet code which handles UTU, if an error occurs running the DB query, the serlvet will kill Tomcat.  If you open a TAC service request, and have your engineer contact me directly, I will provide you a patch.

In spening a bit more time looking at this I noticed that the ANIServer process wasn't running.

I restored the ANIServer.properties file to a date before the server hard disk ran out of space and this seems to have resolved the issue.

I still need to double check that everything is now working but so far so good.

Thanks for all your help.

That could have definitely triggered the bug I found in UTBandServlet.  In any event, you should have received the patch, and it would be a good idea to apply it to prevent potential Tomcat crashes in the future.

Patch received and applied, thanks once again Joe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco