LWAP losing statically assigned IP address

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2010

A client of mine has about 30 LWAPs configured, one for each physical location.  For each site, the AP is statically assigned an IP address of 10.x.10.30.  We use ICMP to monitor the availability of each AP and three times, now, in the last 2 weeks the monitoring software has alarmed for an AP.  When I go into the WLC and check on the status of the AP, I discover that the AP is using an IP address other than the one assigned to it.  If I reset the AP, the AP reverts back to the originally assigned IP address and the monitoring software returns to normal for the AP.  Has anybody else has this experience?  The AP version is 12.4(18a)JA.  The version of code on the WLC is (model 4402).

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
braggb001 Thu, 02/18/2010 - 08:55

Were these APs converted from Autonomous to LWAPP?  If so read below:

If you configure an access point to use a static IP address that is not on the same subnet on which the access point's previous DHCP address was, the access point falls back to a DHCP address after the access point reboots. If the access point falls back to a DHCP address, the show ap config general Cisco_AP CLI command correctly shows that the access point is using a fallback IP address. However, the GUI shows both the static IP address and the DHCP address, but it does not identify the DHCP address as a fallback address.

For further info follow the link below:

Leo Laohoo Thu, 02/18/2010 - 13:37

It's a bug.  I see this happen all the time when I was using the 5.X firmware.  Upgrade to or later and reconfigure the static IP address.

Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/20/2010 - 17:30

I forgot to mention that ever since I've upgraded to I'm able to assign static IP address to all of my LWAP.

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode