cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2900 series issues

jmaurer1205
Level 1
Level 1

I have a network with a mixture of C3560 and C2900 series switches. As of this week we are lossing the gig port / trunk ports on all of the C2900 series switches. This ranks from WS-C2950, WS-C2950G, WS-C2960, 24 - 48 ports, to PoE and non-PoE. I currently have around 60 C2900 series switchs.

The C3560 series has no problems but one location that only has (2) C3560. The gig port / trunk are no longer lit and shutdown. I have not tried to console into one that was down to see what the error was. I have just unplugged the switches and plug them back in, after they boot the system is up and running.

Is there a know problem with the IOS on the C2900?

I am just confused that is only affecting them and not the C3560, C6509 or C4507.

4 Replies 4

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

It sounds like they are going into errdisable.  To find out what is really going on, you will have to connect a console, log into them and interrogate them in the error condition.

Perhaps you could post the config of the trunk ports?  That might give us a clue.  "Is there a know problem with the IOS on the C2900?" is a bit too generic a question to answer sensibly.

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I have a network with a mixture of C3560 and C2900 series switches. As of this week we are lossing the gig port / trunk ports on all of the C2900 series switches. This ranks from WS-C2950, WS-C2950G, WS-C2960, 24 - 48 ports, to PoE and non-PoE. I currently have around 60 C2900 series switchs.

The C3560 series has no problems but one location that only has (2) C3560. The gig port / trunk are no longer lit and shutdown. I have not tried to console into one that was down to see what the error was. I have just unplugged the switches and plug them back in, after they boot the system is up and running.

Is there a know problem with the IOS on the C2900?

I am just confused that is only affecting them and not the C3560, C6509 or C4507.

Hi,

What is the status of port when it goes down in 2960 switch and as suggested by Kevin please share your trunk port configuration.

Ganesh.H

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can also test if you have a cable problem using the built-in TDR tester of the 3560.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_46_se/command/reference/cli3.html#wp2960803

Sorry for just now getting back with you.

The trunk configuration is as follows

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

switchport mode truck

switchport nonegotiate

!

The cables test fine. There is a mixture of fiber and cat5e for the trunk lines.

I was unable to console the switches because my boss was out first thing in the morning and unplugged and plugged them back in to get the network back up. I was told that the trunk interface was not lit.

I have 8 building connecting to HQ via a Gi fiber. The network is flat except for one building on its own VLAN and all the switches are connected to VLAN 1 class C. I also have one VLAN for my Cisco VoIP network. I also have the Cisco WIFI 4400 series and AP on the flat network.

I looked on the web but could not find anything about this issue. I just find it strange that it only affected the 2900 series switches execept for one location that had (2) 3560. I was trying to see if there was a know issue so I could report back with the error and possible solution.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card