Wireless Recomendations

Unanswered Question
Feb 18th, 2010

Hi All,

I need some Wireless recomendations.

I am doing a study in a company that has aproximately 40 APs, which 25 are currently Lightweight being
managed by a WLC 2125. The rest of the APs are autonomous (another WLC is coming).

The problem is that the wireless network has been grown as needed, without any control.
Therefore, the location of the APs are not ideal and all the APs have the default power.

The problem with the wireless connetion is that the clients don't have signal, or they can't connect from time
to time from different locations throughout the campus.

We have only 5 SSIDs which has to be seen from everywhere, so all the APs handle all the SSIDs.
Each SSID has its own requirements.

What we have done so far, is using the AirMagnet and a Cisco Wireless card captures the signals and lower the
power from several APs, so that we don't get much signal in areas where we don't need to see the SSIDs.
We have adjusted the channels, so that we use only channels 1, 6 and 11 minimizing overlapping between zones.

The APs are all families of 1142s and 1242s
The Wireless clients are Handhels, PCs, MACs and SmartPhones.

We also need to be sure that roaming works without problem, because there's going to be VoIP over Wireless soon.

We have seem to reduce the problem, but I'm looking for some pointers and some recommendations to leave this
Wireless network as it should.

Thank you All,

Federico.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Thu, 02/18/2010 - 13:32

Hi Federico,

From your descriptions, it sounds that the AP's were not deployed properly, ie  Too close to other APs or too far from clients.

I'm in the middle of implementing projects that involve installing WAPs at schools.  The schools I've done initial investigations were built in the 1950-1960's so their concrete walls are very sturdy and absobs radio signals like a sponge!  What I have been doing is getting cables installed to more places than APs, a ratio of 1:3 (1 AP to 3 data outlets).  That way if I need to move an AP from one place to another, I don't need to get cablings done.  It's hard to determine the nature of your site because I don't know the layout or the building structure.

Get a wireless site survey done.  You still have room to improve the situation by relocating some of the currently and soon-to-arrive APs.  As for the WLC, I'd recommend you get a WLC-4404-100 or a 5508 with a 100 AP license support.

Actions

This Discussion