Views
Helpful
Replies

Stacking Question 3524

dj214
Level 1
Level 1

Hello:

I'm trying to stack some older 3524 XL's and although I get the green light on the modules and sh int says they are up, they are not being seen as stacked. I checked the min software requiremetns and it says 12.1. If I look on Cisco, I can't find softwware newer that version 12.0 which is what I'm running. Is it possible taht that's the only software being made available by Cisco. I kow these are old switches but there are alot out there and I can't find any newer software than 12.0??

What am I missing

6 Replies 6

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

DJ214 wrote:

Hello:

I'm trying to stack some older 3524 XL's and although I get the green light on the modules and sh int says they are up, they are not being seen as stacked. I checked the min software requiremetns and it says 12.1. If I look on Cisco, I can't find softwware newer that version 12.0 which is what I'm running. Is it possible taht that's the only software being made available by Cisco. I kow these are old switches but there are alot out there and I can't find any newer software than 12.0??

What am I missing

Hello DJ,

when you say stack are you talking about stacking like the 3750 switch? 3524-XL switches are not Stackable.  From you description above it seems that Are you daisy chaining them together right?

HTH

Reza

Hello all - I'm using the gigastax module and thought they would behave like a normal stack. From what I'm reading, I guess not. Thanks everyone

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't stack 3524s as they don't have a stacking port but you can cluster them.

Please refer to the documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2900xl_3500xl/release12.0_5_wc_1_/swg/swgclust.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What's the result with the command "sh cluster members" or "sh cluster candidates"?

sh cluster yields - not a management cluster member

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

i think he is using the old gigastack ports on the devices and then trying to create a switch cluster.   Those were ugly and  real pain when you had to go looking for a particular mac address .  software version should be fine.  Are you using gigastack cables to tie them together ?  You can't use standard cat 5.

More info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps607/products_tech_note09186a00800a2cac.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card