Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't ping across a Catalyst 2960

Hello.

I have a Catalyst 2960. From default configuration, all I have done is assign a VLAN with an IP address of 192.10.200.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I am not setting a default gateway because there is no gateway - that field just stays at the default value.

This switch will not be connected to any other networks; it will only have a few computers on it that will be sending broadcast UDP packets to each other. I am able to send the broadcast UDP packets just fine, but I can't ping from any computer to any other computer. It would be nice to be able to do this for simple troubleshooting.

I will provide more information if that would help.

Please grace me with your abundant wisdom, O' Great Internets.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

douglas.ctr.williams wrote:

Jon, thank you for the blazing fast response.

The connected computers have the following IP addresses and subnet masks:

192.10.200.11     255.255.255.0

192.10.200.12     255.255.255.0

They are configured as static with no default gateway.

Douglas

Okay then they are in the same subnet. By the way because the 2960 is a L2 switch it doesn't matter what you configure the vlan interface on the switch as in terms of vlan or IP address.

Couple of other things to check -

1) can you confirm that the computers in the same vlan ie. the ports they are connected into are in the same vlan. Should be as UDP broadcasts are working

2) can you make sure there is no personal firewall on the computers blocking the incoming ICMP requests

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello.

I have a Catalyst 2960. From default configuration, all I have done is assign a VLAN with an IP address of 192.10.200.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. I am not setting a default gateway because there is no gateway - that field just stays at the default value.

This switch will not be connected to any other networks; it will only have a few computers on it that will be sending broadcast UDP packets to each other. I am able to send the broadcast UDP packets just fine, but I can't ping from any computer to any other computer. It would be nice to be able to do this for simple troubleshooting.

I will provide more information if that would help.

Please grace me with your abundant wisdom, O' Great Internets.

Douglas

Do the devices all have an IP address out of the same subnet and have the same subnet mask configured ?

Jon

Douglas

Okay then they are in the same subnet. By the way because the 2960 is a L2 switch it doesn't matter what you configure the vlan interface on the switch as in terms of vlan or IP address.

Couple of other things to check -

1) can you confirm that the computers in the same vlan ie. the ports they are connected into are in the same vlan. Should be as UDP broadcasts are working

2) can you make sure there is no personal firewall on the computers blocking the incoming ICMP requests

Jon

nelson.garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Douglas, A 2960 is just a layer 2 switch. As long as the devices you are trying to ping belong to the same subnet, they should be able to ping each other. If they're on different VLANs or subnets, you'll need a separate router.

I put my bet on  personal FW's on the clients blocking pings.

Thank you Jon and Glen.

It was indeed Windows Firewall that was blocking the ICMP requests.

Jon, your blazing fast responses are very much appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: