Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing HDDs in UCS Blades

Lukas Mazur
Level 1
Level 1

hi all,

i wanted to test the scenario that if one blade fails the service profile can simply be applied to another blade and with local disks you just have to replace the disks. And exactly here is my problem:

when i replace the hdds (with ESX installed) in Raid 1 configuration and plug them into another blade, apply the service profile(of the "failed" blade) to the new blade and boot it the system is not able to boot because it does not see the LUN/Volume.

have i forgotten a step??

thanks in advice for any hints.

thx lukas

1 Reply 1

kar-wai.chin
Level 1
Level 1

if you plan to perform stateless computing, highly recommend to stick with SAN boot. Theoretically by the way you perform it should be work, but I had never done that b4 in UCS. I had performed the similar activities on others rack mount servers, what you need to do is actually import the foreign raid configuration, before the raid controller can recognize the previous raid configuration you had configured on the local HDD that you swap in. Maybe due to this limitation, you may not able to read the data on your local HDD by just plug it in.

Just my thought here

Regards,

Craig

http://malaysiavm.com

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: