Views
Helpful
Replies

redistribution

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

Can anyone tell me about redistribution into from one protocol into the other?

ie what does the metric 1 mean, i would like to know wheta values to use for say eigrp into ospf etc, example below

router rip

network 192.168.110.0

redistribute igrp 200 metric 1

cheers

Carl

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Carl,

it is the seed metric, all IGRP routes will be injected in RIP database with metric 1

when the protocol receiving the routes is RIP like in this case, the seed metric can be used to decide how far the route will be seen

(15 is the max metric value)

Using 1 should be fine regardless of originating protocol unless there is competition between RIP routes and redistributed routes and the last should be used as backup routes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi there

so does this mean only the first rip router will see the route? wouldnt that be all that is needed anyway, what difference would setting the metric to say 2 make ?

cheers

carl_townshend wrote:

Hi there

so does this mean only the first rip router will see the route? wouldnt that be all that is needed anyway, what difference would setting the metric to say 2 make ?

cheers

Carl,

No, other RIP routers will see the route. As Giuseppe explaned, the seed metric is a starter metric that gives RIP process a value to start with since RIP does not undestand other vlaues protocols like OSPF and IGRP use.

HTH

Reza

I hate to sound mean, but you have been asking the most basic questions for years now...you said you got your CCNA, so why all these basic questions? You never seem to progress at all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card