cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WLC 3.2.171.6 upgrade to 5.x or 6.x

jwinters99
Level 1
Level 1

I have 3 WLC running 3.2.171.6 code that I need to upgrade to a newer code to support the 802.11N aps that have been purchased.  I have moved all of my aps off of one of my controllers so they will not be bouncing up and down while the upgrades are taking place.    My question is this.  I know I need to go to 4.0.206.0 and then to 4.2.61.0 and then to 5.0.148.0 and then to 5.2.xxx.  Can I just upgrade the controllers from start to finish and then move my aps back over to the controller so they can upgrade just one time or do I need to increment them along with the WLC upgrades from release to release to release?

If I can do the aps in just one step that would save a lot of time.  I would like to just upgrade them one time and the controllers as needed per the docs.

If anyone has done this please let me know.

10 Replies 10

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

It is quite possible that the APs require the same stepping stone approach to upgrading.

Keep in mind that you will be switching from lwapp to capwap and you do not want to have any hiccups along the way.

rmarosko
Level 1
Level 1

Please note the following upgrade matrix, I pulled this from the 6.0.182.0 release notes:

Current Software Release

Upgrade Path to 6.0.182.0 Software

3.2.78.0 or later 3.2 release:
Upgrade to a 4.1 release and then upgrade to 4.2.176.0 before upgrading to 6.0.182.0.

4.0.155.5 or later 4.0 release:
Upgrade to 4.2.176.0 before upgrading to 6.0.182.0.

4.1.171.0 or later 4.1 release:

4.2.130.0 or earlier 4.2 release:

4.2.173.0 or later 4.2 release:
You can upgrade directly to 6.0.182.0.

5.0.148.0 or later 5.0 release:

5.1.151.0 or later 5.1 release:

5.2.157.0 or later 5.2 release:

With respect to the access points, I've never hopped an AP directly from 3.2 to 6.0, but I have hopped APs from 4.2.61.0 up to 6.0 without doing the interim loads on the AP without problem at all.

While the controller will run CAPWAP to the AP starting in the 5.2 releases, it will still recognize the LWAPP join request from the older firmware AP and then upgrade the AP firmware appropriately.

...Ron CCIE4526

Thanks.  I had the steps for the controllers.  That wasnt my issue.  I just needed to know if I had to take the aps thru the same steps or not.  I upgraded one of the 4400s all of the way and then moved a single ap over.  It upgraded just fine from the 3.2 version to the 5.x version.

I don't know if anyone have had the opportunity to upgrade from 3.2 to at least 6.x.  It seems you are in the right direction.... You successfully moved one AP with no problem, so I would maybe move that one back to a 3.2 WLC and upgrade the WLC to 6.x and move that AP back.  This should give you a good idea if you can or can not.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

minacabral
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would just like to follow up on the thread starter's question, that is, if it would be ok to do a one time upgrade of the APs after the WLC has undergone the series of upgrades to the latest firmware.

Like the thread starter, we would also like to upgrade a WLC with firmware 4.0.179 to the latest version (preferably 6.x). Since we have 2 controllers, we would like to upgrade the spare controller first to 6.x then connect it to the network and have all the APs join it. Will there be no problem with the APs upgrade with this scenario?

I understand that from the last post, one AP has successfully upgraded to the latest version from version 3.x. With a live network and 40 APs, would this also work?

The APs can take one big "hit" when upgrading IOS from one to the other.

I have 3 controllers.  I upgraded one from 3.2 to 5.2.193 using the upgrade guide for the incremental steps.  I moved all of the aps off first and then did the upgrade.  I then moved one ap back and it did an upgrade and the rejoined.  I tested and all was fine.  I moved about 20 over and let it run for a week or so.  It ran clean and problem free so I continued on with the other 2 controllers in the same fashion.  In my experience I have had good luck with the 5.2.193 code.  I have had some flaky issues with the 6.x versions.  All in all a relatively easy upgrade.  A little time consuming but easy.

It ran clean and problem free so I continued on with the other 2 controllers in the same fashion.  In my experience I have had good luck with the 5.2.193 code.

Horses-for-courses.  I ran 5.X and got some great experience (and thus my recommendation to stay away from this version of a code like a plague).  I ran 6.X and currently running 7.X with great success.

abersven
Level 1
Level 1

You should avoid version 5.x – do not use it.

You can go for 7.x or 6.0.196.0 that is proven to be good.

All the upgrade steps are necessary to convert and reuse the configuration. If you do not need your configuration you can try to recover your WLC with a clean start with new software. Do the minimal of steps and start with a new configuration if you can.

André

You should avoid version 5.x – do not use it.

Dude, I give you +5.  I've never heard someone from Cisco tell anyone to stay away from 5.X code.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: