Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Video message from Joe Pinto and Mala Anand

Hi Gang,

(Yes, Maria, I still think of this as a gang!)  I'd like to invite your comments on the video message from Joe and Mala (on the home page).  I appreciate them recognizing the contributions all of you have made and I'm pleased to say that they "get" what this community is about.  Dan and I, and the rest of the community team, have their support to take NetPro to the next level.  With your help, we really can make the next ten years better than the first.

Let us know what you think.

Cheers,

Tim and the CSC team

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Tim/Dan,

I just wanted to pass along my congratulations to you two and all

of the CSC Team and to all my fellow participants for pushing NetPro

so hard for so long. It seems that all your hard work is paying off.

To be recognized by Joe and Mala in such a nice manner really speaks

to your ongoing commitment to the community and to the community itself

The resources that are being afforded to the CSC is a true indication that Cisco

does see a "real" upside to what is being done here on a day to day basis. I have

always wondered if anyone at Cisco outside of our community saw what kind of

superb work is done here, and I guess they do. The fact that Joe referred to Cisco

TAC at the same as the CSC is revealing I think. There are many great people here

who save alot of TAC cases being opened and I think Cisco finally sees the inherent value

and enhanced Customer satisfaction that is derived from these excellent communities.

Maybe they always did, but it's always nice to hear!

Cheers and thanks again!

Huff

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Tim,

(When you are finished reading this post of mine, you should remember that you kind of asked for it!) Well, I don't see the people on the video recognizing us as a gang, so I am not so sure they "get" what this community is about! Seriously now, it's good to hear that the work of the community is appreciated. Mala talks about a new level of energy lately. Have you analyzed why this is so and quantified how much part of that energy can be attributed to CSC? Sure thing cisco is great, CSC team is great, community members are great and we are all great! But why now? I mean, we have all been great from the very beginning, haven't we?

Mala puts emphasis on asking us to promote the community on facebook and other places. Since you intend to bring here other communities as well (such as the Learning Network), maybe promotion will happen implicitly anyway (BTW: is it possible to bring Cisco NSP here as well?). Regular participation is another story, needs people to devote time and I think it takes more to cause someone to post regularly. Besides, during difficult times people might be encouraged to post questions since it's free, but might not be so encouraged to post answers. I understand that from cisco's perspective it is better if people outside cisco answer questions, otherwise the authors could have as well opened a TAC case. Still, I believe the presence of cisco engineers encourages people to post answers in various ways. Everybody likes the participation of cisco engineers since they are nice guys who know a lot (we all can learn something from them), and there are always authors who, somewhere deeply in their hearts, want to hear a "cisco answer" anyway.

It was good to hear that the community will continue to be open.  I find the free sample the best promotion technique, and since community membership is free, promotion should be easier I guess. So, are you considering to remove altogether the second sentence from the following article of the CSC acceptable use agreement?
"14.    Costs and Fees.  Access to the Site and Services are provided at no charge to User; and User shall be solely responsible for any costs and expenses it incurs because of the Site or the Services.  You acknowledge and agree that Cisco may later require you and other users to pay a fee to continue to use the Services or the Site."
(Hey Rob, when the big guys are officially telling you how great you are implicitly or explicitly, then it's the best time to ask for something! )

Kind Regards,
Maria

Hi Maria,

I couldn't see how the regular contributors could be "recognized" by Joe and Mala.  I mean I would understand if they have a running line below the video but who do you put in there?

Hi Leo,

If I recall correctly, Mala thanks people that have posted hundreds or thousand of times. I do not wonder so much about who specifically is being thanked, I don't think the purpose of the video is to thank anyone specifically and I think it wouldn't be a good tactic to thank specific people only anyway, since this is a community and united we stand. However, I must admit that if your idea with the running line had been put into practice, I would be laughing for a day or so!

In any case, I haven't put myself in there without any doubt and afterwards posted, if that's what you are asking. I think it all depends on one's view of a community. Some people contribute more, others less. One of my concerns is whether the community will continue to be open and that's what I am seeking confirmation about in my previous post. As for the compliments, I have learnt to be suspicious about them in some contexts, especially when they are addressed to me personally. It usually means more work!

Kind Regards,
Maria

Hi Maria,

Apologize for chiming in a bit late here.  I was visiting Mickey and Minnie Mouse in Disney World last week.  Let me assure you we have no plans to move NetPro to a fee model.  A big part of our success is it's open to everyone.  I believe the text in our "user acceptance" policy is the same as it was 10 years ago when we first launched.  If it hasn't happened in the last 10 years I doubt it ever will.

Cheers,

Dan

Cheers, Dan

Hi Dan,

No need for apologies. Hope you had a great time. The last week wasn't very good for me, so I guess I am in a rather pessimistic phase. Thanks for your reply.

Kind Regards,

Maria

dbruhn wrote:

I was visiting Mickey and Minnie Mouse in Disney World last week.

Hey Dan,

After all the hard work and long hours you and your team have put in, I'm sure it was well worth it.

NOTE:  We have our share of "mouse" here.  We call `em "rat b@gs".  He he he ...

ratbag
adjective:- a contemptible or obnoxious or untrustworthy person, on the eccentric side, who behaves improperly, or any combination of the above.

Message was edited by: leolaohoo

Hi Maria,

Hope this week is going better for you my friend

I really loved this line from your post (+5 for you);

"As for the compliments, I have learnt to be suspicious about them in some contexts, especially when they are addressed to me personally. It usually means more work!"

This is just so true! Maybe it has to do with your Greek heritage ;

“beware of Greeks bearing gifts” is the usual English phrasing

or the original quotation from Virgil : “Whatever it is, I fear Greeks even when they bring gifts.” (Spoken by Laocoon, “Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes.”)

Take care!

Huff

Hey Leo,

Hope all is well "down under" buddy!

It is impossible to recognize the whole gang so here is my +5 point

recognition for you. Loved the comment about Aussie-mice

Cheers!

Huff

Thanks Rob.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links