Problen to convert an AP from IOS to Lightweight

Unanswered Question
Feb 19th, 2010

I'm try to convert some AP's from IOS to Lightweight using the Ugrade Tool version 3.4 but I get an error. I used a sniffer and I saw that the Upgrade Tools start a tftp copy of a "validate.txt" file from the AP to the PC where it is installed. I don't know what is this file and what it should contain. I don't find any document about it. Can some one tell me how create this file and where put it?

Thamk you in advance

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Fri, 02/19/2010 - 16:45

What is the error message?
What is your AP model?
Are you performing remote conversion or is the AP and WLC in the same VLAN?

gbressanin Sun, 02/21/2010 - 06:03

Hi Leo,

I don't have the print screen of the error, I recieve the message form the Upgrade Tool to check if there is firewall between AP and tftp , but the problem is that the file "validate.txt" in not present so the requestt go in timeout. With the sniffer I see the command from Upgrade Tool (my pc) to AP " copy tftp://(ip address my PC)/validate.txt flash:" The AP send a request for get the file but on the PC that file is not present and I don't know what I have to do.

I try with AP1131,AP1241 and AP1231. The AP and the WLC are on different subnet but connected to the same L3 core switch, the PC where I start the Upgrade Tool is remore.

Leo Laohoo Sun, 02/21/2010 - 13:13

Can you console into your AP?
What is the complete IOS it's running (filename would be great)?
Can the AP ping the Management IP address of the WLC?

gbressanin Mon, 02/22/2010 - 06:49

Hi Leo,

the problem was that I used Windows Vista, I tried with Windows XP and all work Fine.

Thank You

This Discussion