cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help with comments, ideas, sources on how to design a network infrastructure capable of separating nationwide internet traffic in and out.

angelblacut
Level 1
Level 1

Well, the topic is very self explanatory I believe.. I think that this issue is kind of related to WANs. I decided to focus my thesis on this problem for a ISP in my country, I would like to design a system (Point of Presence, Internet Exchange Point) here in the country able to separate internet traffic, send the international traffic out, and keep the national traffic inside the country, I assume that this is pretty complicated and requires a lot of resources and planning, but it would help me a lot if you could recommend some ways of getting on the road . I assume I may need to simulate a network with switches, routers, servers, etc. This design may be applicable to only one company running very little traffic, or for more than one, depending on the revenue that the project may generate, the basic idea to analize is if this project could lower latency and reduce overall cost for the company. But its also way too important analize how much a project like that may cost to implement. Thanks in advance for your insight!

Angel

3 Replies 3

pompeychimes
Level 4
Level 4

A very loaded question. You might get more response if you post your ideas and allow us to critique them.

James

nqtran1979
Level 1
Level 1

I don't think i understand the question.

Send international Internet traffic out and keep national traffic inside the country. Is this not what routers do?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Angel,

your explanation may have been misleading.

>> here in the country able to separate internet traffic, send the international traffic out, and keep the national traffic inside the country,

ISPs use BGP communities for this job: some BGP communities can be used to mark routes that are national and differentiate them from international routes.

Multiple BGP communities can be associated to a single route and this is used for example to perform traffic engineering.

This is common practice.

If you refer to a different approach, somewhat based on analyzing traffic or performances on links, you may want to look at OER Optimized edge routing.

This is more oriented to enterprises then providers that need to use BGP.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Security/IE_DG.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/oer/configuration/guide/12_4t/oer_12_4t_book.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: