Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how to Connect Cisco E500 cat switch with Cisco 4507 switch

Hi, I have a Cisco E500 Series switch. i want to co

nnect this switch to a cisco 4507R-E series switch..how can i connect these switches....do i

need to configure the port as trunk on 4500 switch????

16 Replies 16

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, I have a Cisco E500 Series switch. i want to co

nnect this switch to a cisco 4507R-E series switch..how can i connect these switches....do i

need to configure the port as trunk on 4500 switch????

Hi,

That depends on your network architure if you want to allow between the switches then you need to configure trunk between 4507 and E500 switches.

Check out the below link on trunk hope that help !!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk689/technologies_configuration_example09186a008009478e.shtml

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Hi Ganesh,

I will be using the E5oo cat switch for additional connectivity of the systems and IP phones. Since I am falling short of ports on 4500 switch.

Can I connect 500 and 4500 switches without configuring the port as trunk...If I simply connect the E500 cat switch to 4500 switch with a cross over cable..will E500 cat switch come up? Will the system connected on E500 switch port take an IP address?

Syed Md Azharuddin

Network Management team

561 682 7000 -1 Extn 291324

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

If you have multiple Vlans that you want to extend between the CE500 and Cat4500, then you need to configure it as a trunk port. You should manually allow the vlans that you want to extend between switches using command "switchport trunk allowed vlan " command to limit the number of unncessary traffic travelling over the trunk port.

Cheers,

-amit singh

Hi Amit,

Thanks for looking into this.

I have a data and voice vlan in 4500 series switch.

Can I connect 500 and 4500 switches without configuring the port as trunk...If I simply connect the E500 cat switch to 4500 switch with a cross over cable..will E500 cat switch come up? Will the system connected on E500 switch port take an IP address?

Syed Md Azharuddin

Network Management team

Hi Syed,

You can if you wanrt to but you don't need to use crossover cable, you can just use stright through cable.

Once both sides are connected do "no sh" under each interface, they should both come up if the cable, the port and the module are all good.

HTH

Reza

Hi Amit,

Thanks for looking into this.

I have a data and voice vlan in 4500 series switch.

Syed Md Azharuddin

Network Management team

Hi,

You can connect with straight through cable also if that port is connected to same vlan as of E500 switch then it will work.

HTH

Ganesh.H

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Are you using fiber cable to connect them together or copper?  If it is fiber then you need LC to LC patch cord .  If it is copper then it is RJ45.

If you only have one vlan on the E500, then you don't need to trunk it, if you have more than one vlan then you do need to trunk it.

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza,

I am using a cross over cable to connect these switches.

I have a data and voice vlan in 4500 switch for system and IP Phone connectivity. I am falling short of ports so i am extending the connectivity with E500 swicth...Do i still need trunk??? If i don configure trunk then atleat system connected on port of e500 switch sohuld take an IP ....right?

You need a trunk for both the data and voice vlan to travel across the switches. If you connect it to data vlan then the PC will get the IP without any problem. You can either use a cross-over cable or a straight through cable as most the switches today comes with MDIX feature.

Hi Syed,

Since you have 2 vlans go ahead and trunk the port

here is a sample config:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan 3 (Data VLAN)
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 4 (Voice vlan)

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza,

I am using a cross over cable to connect these switches.

I have a data and voice vlan in 4500 switch for system and IP Phone connectivity. I am falling short of ports so i am extending the connectivity with E500 swicth...Do i still need trunk??? If i don configure trunk then atleat system connected on port of e500 switch sohuld take an IP ....right?

Amit is right you need to have trunk between the two switches for both data and voice traffic to flow.

Ganesh.H

Hi,

I have connected the E500 switch using a straight through cable to 4507 switch. The port at Cisco 4507 is showing as connected but the system connected on E500 switch is not taking an IP address from DHCP. The system shows an IP address 169.X.X.X. How to connect these switches and how to bring the systems in network which are connected on E500 switch???

Pls help..

Are the ports on both switches in the up and up position?

on both switches what does "sh ip int brie" shows?

here is an example:

Switch#sh ip in bri gi1/0/1
Interface              IP-Address      OK? Method Status                Protocol
GigabitEthernet1/0/1   200.200.200.1   YES NVRAM  up                    up     
Switch#

Reza

Hi Reza,

The status of the port at the Cisco 4507 switch is

Switch#sh ip int brief g 7/21
Interface                        IP-Address      OK?      Method      Status                Protocol
GigabitEthernet7/21         unassigned      YES      unset       up                    up

But i don know how to check the status at E500 switch. it doesn't have any console port also.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card