Views
Helpful
Replies

Determining Switch Port Availability

Mark Wagnon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We will soon be adding a number of new IP devices to our network and I would like to know if there is a way to get a count of ports that are being used. I've done a few Internet searches, but have come up blank. I found MRTG, but I'm not sure if that will be much help because it seems more suited to traffic analysis. Any ideas?

Thanks a ton!

Mark

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the following commands:

sh interface status | i notconnect
sh interface counters

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Use the following commands:

sh interface status | i notconnect
sh interface counters

Thanks! I'm thinking that I can clear counters and let the switch sit a few days and come back and see which ports are really being used. This will help a lot. Thanks again.

Mark

Thanks for the rating.  One flaw to this is that sometimes you don't know that the client on the other side is on leave and after 30 days, you see the counters as zero.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The only platform that can accurately give you this is the 4500 series, with those you can use the "show int link"  command and it will tell you exactly when the port was last used.  Why they don't port that command to the rest of switches is beyond me ...

Yeah.   I've love that command. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card