Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice Conferencing with 3825 router and CUCM 4.1.3

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am running CUCM 4.1.3 and I am looking into configuring a 3825 router with 4 PVDM2-64 modules on the motherboard for voice conferencing. Could someone help clearify the questions below ? Thank you in advance !!!

With 4 PVDM2-64 modules on the motherboard. I would like to find out:

what is the max number of conference session ?

what is the max number of participants per conference session ?

is the DSP Calculator the right tool to figure this out ?

D.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to read this:

Configuring Enhanced Conferencing and Transcoding for Voice Gateway Routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/cminterop/configuration/guide/vc_enh_confr_vgr_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

The number of sessions depends on which codecs you enable on the dspfarm profile, look tables 5 and 6

The DSP calculator is used when you want to know how many PDVM2s you need to get what you need based on what you tell the tool.

In your case you already have the HW but want to know what you can do with it.

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

View solution in original post

You define the number of sessions when defining the dspfarm profile as per the link

Depending on the IOS you could define the # of parties:

maximum conference-party

To configure the maximum number of conference parties allowed in each meet-me conference, use the maximum conference-party command in DSP farm profile configuration mode. To reset this number to the default, use the no form of this command.

maximum conference-party max-parties

no maximum conference-party max-parties

Syntax Description

max-parties

Maximum number of parties allowed in each meet-me conference session. One DSP can support the following maximums:

G.711—32 parties

G.729—16 parties

The default is 8 parties.

Command Modes

DSP farm profile configuration (config-dspfarm-profile)

Command History

Release
Modification

12.4(11)XJ2

This command was introduced.

12.4(15)T

This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T.

Usage Guidelines

The maximum number of parties allowed for hardware conferencing is dependent on the codec used in the DSP farm profile. Use the codec command in DSP Farm profile configuration mode to specify the codecs supported by the DSP farm profile. Use the show dspfarm profile command to display the DSP farm profile.

Examples

The following example configures a DSP farm profile that has maximum of 16 parties for hardware conferences using the G.711 codec:

Router(config)# dspfarm profile conference1

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-party 16

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec g711alaw

If you enable the above is for all sessions. Also it only applies when only ONE (only g711 or only g729) codec is used in the profile, if you mix codecs you go back to the 8 max.

Bear in mind that any voice termination you have on the router affects the math from the links, they assume you will do nothing but CFB or XCODER on the routers to match those numbers.

HTH

java

HTH

java

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You'll need to read this:

Configuring Enhanced Conferencing and Transcoding for Voice Gateway Routers

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/voice/cminterop/configuration/guide/vc_enh_confr_vgr_ps6441_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html

The number of sessions depends on which codecs you enable on the dspfarm profile, look tables 5 and 6

The DSP calculator is used when you want to know how many PDVM2s you need to get what you need based on what you tell the tool.

In your case you already have the HW but want to know what you can do with it.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Hi Java and again I very much appreciate your help !!!

I am using G.711 throughout my enterprise and based on table 5 and 6 from the link you sent. I can have a maximun of 50 sessions and 400 conferees that means only 8 participants per session. Is 8 the max number of participants per session ? can I increase the number of participant per session ? for example like 30 participants per session but only 10 sessions max. And do I specify the max number of sessions and max number of participants per session when set up the profile in the router ?

Thanks Java !!!

D.

You define the number of sessions when defining the dspfarm profile as per the link

Depending on the IOS you could define the # of parties:

maximum conference-party

To configure the maximum number of conference parties allowed in each meet-me conference, use the maximum conference-party command in DSP farm profile configuration mode. To reset this number to the default, use the no form of this command.

maximum conference-party max-parties

no maximum conference-party max-parties

Syntax Description

max-parties

Maximum number of parties allowed in each meet-me conference session. One DSP can support the following maximums:

G.711—32 parties

G.729—16 parties

The default is 8 parties.

Command Modes

DSP farm profile configuration (config-dspfarm-profile)

Command History

Release
Modification

12.4(11)XJ2

This command was introduced.

12.4(15)T

This command was integrated into Cisco IOS Release 12.4(15)T.

Usage Guidelines

The maximum number of parties allowed for hardware conferencing is dependent on the codec used in the DSP farm profile. Use the codec command in DSP Farm profile configuration mode to specify the codecs supported by the DSP farm profile. Use the show dspfarm profile command to display the DSP farm profile.

Examples

The following example configures a DSP farm profile that has maximum of 16 parties for hardware conferences using the G.711 codec:

Router(config)# dspfarm profile conference1

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# maximum conference-party 16

Router(config-dspfarm-profile)# codec g711alaw

If you enable the above is for all sessions. Also it only applies when only ONE (only g711 or only g729) codec is used in the profile, if you mix codecs you go back to the 8 max.

Bear in mind that any voice termination you have on the router affects the math from the links, they assume you will do nothing but CFB or XCODER on the routers to match those numbers.

HTH

java

HTH

java

Thanks Java !!!!

Danny

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: