cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading a 2501 for CCNP LAB?

stevec90
Level 1
Level 1

I have a lab with 5 routers. I recently picked up a couple of 2501's with 11.1 IOS. My question is, is it worth the 50 bucks to upgrade the DRAM and Flash so I can install 12.3 IOS? I have 2 2610XM's that will provide good functionality for practice, so I am thinking that it won't matter that much to leave the 2501's at 11.1, since they are mainly just to add hops. Will there be any problems/limitations with having an older IOS?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Steve,

No, I would spend the upgrade money to buy a couple of 2600 instead even if you have to pay a few more $.  They go for about $50 to $70 on Ebay.

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Steve,

The 2500 series routers are very old and you can not upgrade the flash to more then 16M.  It is also a very very slow router (for these days).

and comes with only a 10Mb Ethernet interface and 2 serial. You also have to use and EUI interface to convert the port to RJ45 to be able to use it.

I would look an Ebay for 2600 possibly 2621 which will give you 2 10/100 native Ethernet interfaces.

The 2522 it is a good choice if you want to build a frame-relay and the 2509 and 2511 are good as terminal servers.

HTH

Reza

Reza, I already have the routers in my lab. I had a couple of extra transceivers also, so I am set on that, and speed is not an issue - I'm studying for my CCNP.  16/16 is the max, but 16/16 is all you need for the 12.3 IOS. So my question is, is it worth it to upgrade the memory for the 12.3 IOS?

Steve,

No, I would spend the upgrade money to buy a couple of 2600 instead even if you have to pay a few more $.  They go for about $50 to $70 on Ebay.

HTH

Reza

Is this becuase the 11.1 IOS has pretty much the same commands as the 12.3 IOS? I have heard to get the "latest and greatest" IOS to be compatible with CCNP studies, why is that if they are essentially the same?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card