Helpful
Replies

Traffic flow

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am  trying to know how routing works. Please bear with me

For eg --I have L2 switch attched to the core1.

L2 switch has default gateway of 192.168.253.1 (this sits on core 1 as an SVI)

Core 3 has L2 Swi hanging off with vlan 230 SVI.

Core 1 & Core 2 do not have vlan 230 on it

L2 Swi1 has vlan 253 and vlan 230

All core switches are 6513 switches

Core 1 has access connection of vlan 253 to core 2 and core 2 has access connection of vlan253 to core 3 .All core switches have Ospf running . I cannot change the these access connections in the core so please advice me according to the configuration below

L2 Swi1<-------vlan253 ------>Core 1 <---------->vlan 253<---------->Core 2<---------vlan 253--------> Core3------------L2 Swi2 (vlan 230)

Q1 when L2 Swi1 sends traffic for vlan 230 to Default gateway Core 1 how can it reach L2 Swi2 off of core 3 ie . where do i need put SVI in order for packet   to reach destination of vlan 230  at Swi2. I don't want to create trunks in the core.

Q2 Is this possible thru routing or the only way to go is thru trunks or access connections.  Do i need vlan 230 on  Core 1  & Core 2  in order for this to work?

Q3 If possible thru routing can anybody please explain the  configuration i need to put on the core or switches?

Please Advice

I wll appreciate it.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

gurkamal01 wrote:

Hi,

I am  trying to know how routing works. Please bear with me

For eg --I have L2 switch attched to the core1.

L2 switch has default gateway of 192.168.253.1 (this sits on core 1 as an SVI)

Core 3 has L2 Swi hanging off with vlan 230 SVI.

Core 1 & Core 2 do not have vlan 230 on it

L2 Swi1 has vlan 253 and vlan 230

Core 1 has access connection of vlan 253 to core 2 and core 2 has access connection of vlan253 to core 3 .All core switches have Ospf running .

L2 Swi1<-------vlan253 ------>Core 1 <---------->vlan 253<---------->Core 2<---------vlan 253--------> Core3------------L2 Swi2 (vlan 230)

Q1 when L2 Swi1 sends traffic for vlan 230 to Default gateway Core 1 how can it reach L2 Swi2 off of core 3 ie . where do i need put SVI in order for packet   to reach destination of vlan 230  at Swi2. I don't want to create trunks in the core.

Q2 Is this possible thru routing or the only way to go is thru trunks or access connections.  Do i need vlan 230 on  Core 1  & Core 2  in order for this to work?

Q3 If possible thru routing can anybody please explain the  configuration i need to put on the core or switches?

Please Advice

I wll appreciate it.

Hi,

Q1 for vlan 253 you should put the SVI in core-1 switch. Also for vlan 230 you should put the SVI on core-3 If you have any vlan hanging off of core-2 then put the SVI for that vlan in core-2.   You will also need to deploy /30 subnets between all you core devices

Depending on the type switch you have you can then run a routing protocol like OSPF, RIP or ISIS between core-1, core-2 and core-3.

HTH

Reza

See attached file

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Jon any advice on this?

The core switches are 6513

Thanks in advance

Between your 6513 switches you can enable OSPF (as long as you have the right image) or you can also use static routes since this is small network

HTH

Reza

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Jon can you advice on this please

The core switches are 6513

Thanks in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card