Views
Helpful
Replies

Third Party Certificate Question

ciscopower
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a third party cert to install on a WLC. My question is, does the "Common Name" that I include on the request for the certificate need to be an actual public domain? This is just for a guest scenario and I dont want to use the companys domain name if possible. What would I put in the request and how does that effect if the certificate will be granted?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

jorge.novo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Phil,

When you say: "I am planning on buying a third party cert to install on a WLC" You mean the are you going to spend money on it, aren't you?

Just because if you are going to use the certificates only for a guest scenario, may be a private or self signed certificate should be better.

By the way, the commonName value only identify the "element" is nor related with you company nor related with your IP or whatever

For example, my Self signed certificates have:

For the CA

commonName              = "Ejemplo de Autoridad Certificadora"

For the Radius Server

commonName              = "Ejemplo de Certificado de Servidor"

For the clients

commonName              = "Ejemplo de Certificado de Cliente"

This certs are used for a EAP-TLS configuracion with WLC AS5508 and several Cisco 1140 Access point

I hope this help.

Regards

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Phil.

Nope, doesnt have to be public domain.

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card