Vlan UP line protocol Down

Answered Question
Feb 22nd, 2010

I have a 3560 switch newly installed and have created a mgmt VLAN (999) but the line prot is down and won't come up

Vlan 1 is shut down and 2 other vlan's exist Vlan 2 (user data) and vlan 700 (voice) which work fine

Users are plugged in and working, vlan exists in vlan.dat etc

What am I missing?

config attached

thanks in advance

Jonathan

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by ganeshh.iyer about 4 years 1 month ago

I have a 3560 switch newly installed and have created a mgmt VLAN (999) but the line prot is down and won't come up

Vlan 1 is shut down and 2 other vlan's exist Vlan 2 (user data) and vlan 700 (voice) which work fine

What am I missing?

config attached

thanks in advance

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

It is because of Autostate is implemented on CatOS and IOS Cisco based switches by default. On some CatOS platforms, this feature can be disabled in order to allow redundancy in special scenarios. On IOS based switches, this feature cannot be disabled.

The router VLAN interfaces have to fulfill the following general conditions to be up/up:

*  VLAN exists and is in active status on the switch VLAN database.

*  VLAN interface exists on the router and is not administratively down.

*  At least one L2 (access port or trunk) port exists and has a link up on this VLAN. The latest implementation of the autostate feature allows synchronization to Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP) port status.A VLAN interface will be brought up after the L2 port has had time to converge (that is, transition from listening-learning to forwarding). This will prevent routing protocols and other features from using the VLAN interface as if it were fully operational. This also prevents other problems, such as routing black holes, from occurring.

* At least one L2 (access port or trunk) port is in spanning-tree forwarding state on the VLAN.

Hope to Help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
csc010627097 Mon, 02/22/2010 - 06:20

Hi, you need to assigne at least one device to this vlan to make protocole up.

HTH

Regards

foreverkaruppu Mon, 02/22/2010 - 06:21

Hi,

Atleast one interface you need to assign to this vlan(999).

Then only this vlan wil comes up.

regards

karuppu

Correct Answer
ganeshh.iyer Mon, 02/22/2010 - 06:45

What am I missing?

config attached

thanks in advance

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

It is because of Autostate is implemented on CatOS and IOS Cisco based switches by default. On some CatOS platforms, this feature can be disabled in order to allow redundancy in special scenarios. On IOS based switches, this feature cannot be disabled.

The router VLAN interfaces have to fulfill the following general conditions to be up/up:

*  VLAN exists and is in active status on the switch VLAN database.

*  VLAN interface exists on the router and is not administratively down.

*  At least one L2 (access port or trunk) port exists and has a link up on this VLAN. The latest implementation of the autostate feature allows synchronization to Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP) port status.A VLAN interface will be brought up after the L2 port has had time to converge (that is, transition from listening-learning to forwarding). This will prevent routing protocols and other features from using the VLAN interface as if it were fully operational. This also prevents other problems, such as routing black holes, from occurring.

* At least one L2 (access port or trunk) port is in spanning-tree forwarding state on the VLAN.

Hope to Help !!

If helpful do rate the post

Ganesh.H

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted February 22, 2010 at 6:13 AM
Stats:
Replies:3 Avg. Rating:5
Views:24782 Votes:0
Shares:1
Tags: No tags.