Views
Helpful
Replies

4900 DNS through VRF-interface

andreaspechiny
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i tried to configure a C4900M to connct to the nameserver through its VRF-Interface.

The document "DNS - VRF Aware DNS" describes the command "ip name-server [vrf vrf-name] server-address1"

But I cant use this comand on a 4900M.

IOS-Version: 12.2(53)SG1

How can it be realized?

Thanks

Andreas

2 Replies 2

I have a 4900M with the same problem except I am running 15.2(1)E. The latest config guide I can find for the 15 train is 15.0 which does not list DNS as being supported for VRF. However, there are some commands that make it appear it is.

Entering these commands...

ip domain-lookup source-interface FastEthernet1
ip domain-name vrf mgmtVrf mydomain.com
ip name-server vrf mgmtVrf 4.2.2.1

It still does not work...

c4900M#ping vrf mgmtVrf 8.8.8.8
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 8.8.8.8, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 8/11/12 ms
c4900M#ping vrf mgmtVrf google-public-dns-a.google.com
Translating "google-public-dns-a.google.com"...domain server (4.2.2.1)
% Unrecognized host or address, or protocol not running.

I can ping and TFTP from my Fa1 interface, so routing is good. Looks like DNS is not fully supported yet, or am I missing a command?

Anyone have any ideas about this? I played around with this some more and still cannot get it to work. It says it is trying to query the proper name-servers but it still fails. It appears the command "ip domain lookup source-interface FastEthernet1" doesn't actually work yet.

I checked the Cisco configuration guide for 15.0(2)SG (the latest guide I could find for version 15) and it does not list DNS as a VRF-aware service.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco