cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Utilization of a switch backplane in LMS

scott_matthews
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to see the Utilization of the entire backplane of a Cisco 6509 in LMS.  I can only find a way to see the utilization of each individual interface, and not the entire device.  I would like to see this because I want to not only see the traffic going out on the uplink, but I would also like to see the traffic passed from one interface to the other.  Is there a way for me to see the utilization of the entire device in LMS?

19 Replies 19

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can see switching load metrics using sysTrafficMeterTable objects from the CISCO-STACK-MIB.  You could load this MIB into HUM, then poll the various objects for the supported switching paths.

Joe,

I am trying to load the CISCO-STACK-MIB set and keep getting error "Unable to load the MIB file.  Either you are trying to load an invalid MIB file or the dependent MIB files are not available in the path."

I have loaded all the MIB's in the Import section of the CISCO-STACK-MIB, and still get the error.

I found another prerequisite list of this MIB and attempted to load all of those, however I get the same error on RFC1155-SMI.  I cannot find a prerequisite list, nor do I see an IMPORTS section in this file. 

Any ideas what I can do to get around these problems?

Thanks

What version of HUM do you have?

We are running HUM version 1.2.0 on LMS 3.2

Joe,

I finally was able to load all of the dependencies for CISCO-STACK-MIB.  I loaded the dependencies in the order I found them on this page:  http://tools.cisco.com/Support/SNMP/do/BrowseMIB.do?local=en&mibName=CISCO-STACK-MIB

However, I am still getting the same error while trying to load the CISCO-STACK-MIB that states I am trying to either load an invalid MIB file, or the dependent MIB files are not available in the path.

Any Ideas?

Thanks for your help

-Scott

I may have to make some modifications to the MIB.  I will play with this tomorrow, and send you an update.

Here is a version of the STACK-MIB which should load up in HUM.

Joe,

When I try to load this new MIB you provided, I get a different error that I have not seen before:

"ERROR: Unable to serialize the object into database.  Check if MIB details are available in database"

Thanks

-Scott

I cannot reproduce.  What MIBs do you currently have loaded in HUM?

Joe,

Here is a list of the MIBS I currently have loaded:

BRIDGE-MIB
CISCO-ENHANCED-MEMPOOL-MIB
CISCO-ENVMON-MIB
CISCO-MEMORY-POOL-MIB
CISCO-POWER-ETHERNET-EXT-MIB
CISCO-PROCESS-MIB
CISCO-PRODUCTS-MIB
CISCO-RTTMON-MIB
CISCO-SMI
CISCO-VTP-MIB
ENTITY-MIB
FDDI-SMT73-MIB
IANAifType-MIB
IF-MIB
INET-ADDRESS-MIB
OLD-CISCO-CHASSIS-MIB
POWER-ETHERNET-MIB
RFC-1212
RFC-1215
RFC1155-SMI
RFC1213-MIB
RFC1271-MIB
RMON-MIB
RMON2-MIB
SNMP-FRAMEWORK-MIB
SNMPv2-CONF
SNMPv2-MIB
SNMPv2-SMI
SNMPv2-SMI-v1
SNMPv2-TC
SNMPv2-TC-v1
TOKEN-RING-RMON-MIB

Thanks

-Scott

That may be part of the problem.  I never loaded the dependent MIBs.  Instead, I just had them available in the mibs subdirectory.  Post your upm_base.log, upm_ui.log, and upm_process.log.  If you don't already have stuff configured in HUM, you might also try reinitializing the upm database, then reloading the CISCO-STACK-MIB by itself.

Requested files attached.

Thanks

-Scott

Post the NMSROOT/hum/mibmanager/mibcompiler/xml/CISCO-STACK-MIB.xml file.

Requested file attached

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: