Views
Helpful
Replies

PortChannel with Alcatel

m.metwally
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Experts,

can somebody guide me wo do I confiure My Cisco 2950 Switch to form a portchannel with Alcatel 6224 in which:

Ports 1,2,3 and 4 in each switch will participate in the portchannel

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You have make sure that the Alcatel switch supports the LACP  protocol. The LACP protocol is a supporting protocol to establish  Etherchannel bundles and verify that the ports that are about to be  bundled together are indeed eligible for bundling (for example, they all  connect to the same neighboring device, they have the same operational  characteristics and so on). You could also proceed without using any  support protocol but I would not recommend that personally.

The way to  create a LACP-controlled Etherchannel on a Cisco switch is to issue the  following commands:

interface range fa0/1 - 4
shutdown
[ ... All config that should be the same like access/trunk etc. ... ]
channel-group 1 mode active
no shutdown

The  'active' keyword in the example makes sure that the Etherchannel will be  created as LACP-controlled Etherchannel. After these commands are  entered, a Port-channel1 interface will be created that represent the  Etherchannel bundle. The 'shutdown' and 'no shutdown' commands are  optional but in various occasions, it has proved to be a best practice  when creating Etherchannel bundles. I would suggest to shutdown all the ports, configure the LACP and related parameters and then bring the ports back up again.

HTH,

-amit singh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card