cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing newly installed T1 circuits

thomasdenton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I am working on switching my WAN carrier, and I have 2 newly installed point to point T1 circuits to test. I am also getting a new Colocated cabinet for the "hub" end of the circuits. My question is, is there a simple way to test that these are working out?

I have some hardware to use for this purpose, I have a 2811 router with a T1 WIC, and a T1/E1 WIC, installed it for use at the hub end, and for my 2 remote sites I have... 1 each an 1841 router with a T1 DSU/CSU WIC installed.

Basically I figure I can just setup the serial connections for the T1 S/0 interfaces, and then should I create a subnet to test with? I am worried if I put them on my current subnet that things may end up getting stuck in an infinite loop...because my current colocated facility is still online with a router in place and my existing T1s.

Also I've not set one of these up before, do I just setup the encoding and media type on the T1 interfaces, turn on a routing protocol like EIGRP, and plug them in to a switch and then get a machine on either end?

1 Reply 1

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To be honest, in most cases there is no need to test. If the circuit is faulty, that is very easy to see.

Rgarding the WAN setup, the very best thing you could do, is engage a professional to get advice from.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card