WLC adding a new AP

Unanswered Question
Feb 22nd, 2010

Hi,

I have a WLC 2125 managing about 20 Lightweight APs...

I have two brand new APs that I want to add to the controller.

Please let me know the procedure to add the APs.

Can the AP have an static IP, or needs to get all the config via DHCP?

Thank you.

Federico.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Leo Laohoo Mon, 02/22/2010 - 13:52

First you need to let the AP join the controller.  So the IP address will be via DHCP.  If you want to assign static IP address to your AP, you need to run at least 6.0.182.0 firmware.

Federico Coto F... Mon, 02/22/2010 - 14:35

Hi thank you,

It worked, now the AP has an IP, but the wireless clients connect and don't get DHCP.

The DHCP is working.

Something has to be done to allow the Lightweight AP to pass DHCP to the wireless clients?

Federico.

George Stefanick Mon, 02/22/2010 - 15:47

Leo ... email me when you have a moment

gstefanick<@>wirelesssguru.

Thats with 3 s's and remove the <>....  dont need any extra spam

Federico Coto F... Tue, 02/23/2010 - 13:25

Hi,

I am having problems with the DHCP assignment via the WLAN.

The WLC is configured to point to two DHCP servers.

Different SSIDs use different DHCP servers.

Both DHCP are:  172.16.24.16 and 172.16.127.3

Please let me know if we can get something out from the ''debug dhcp message enable'' from the WLC that I've attached when attempted to connect both clients.

Both clients don't get an IP from dynamically but works fine with static IPs.

Please help.

Thank you.

Federico.

Milton Tizoc Tue, 02/23/2010 - 13:37

If i understand, you have the WLC as a dhcp and i think you have dynamic interfaces for each ssid,  did you configure the ip address of the management interface in the dhcp server inside the configuration of each dynamic interface?

Regards,

Milton Tizoc

Federico Coto F... Tue, 02/23/2010 - 16:08

Thank you, but the WLC is not the DHCP server.

The WLC is configured to point to a network DHCP server (which assigns IPs dynamically to all the cable-networks.

The problem is that it does allow the DHCP assignment through it.

In other words, if I connect my laptop with a cable I get an IP from the DHCP server.

If I try to connect to any WLAN, then I connect but I don't get an IP from the DHCP.

If I set a static IP on the machine (wireless) it works.

Federico.

Milton Tizoc Wed, 02/24/2010 - 07:45

And do you configure the dhcp server in the dynamic interface from each SSID? can you post the configuration? what do you have as a DHCP server, windows server, router?

Regards,

Milton Tizoc.

Federico Coto F... Wed, 02/24/2010 - 08:16

I see that for example, the SSID for Internet is called ''internet'' and the Profile Name is called ''Wireless Internet'' that corresponds to the interface ''vlan-internet''

So, for example, on the WLC under Controller, Interfaces, I have ''vlan-internet'' for the interface name, and under that SSID, I have the correct DHCP defined.

I attached the output from the debugs on my first post.

Do you need the ''show tech''?

The DHCP server is just a Windows 2003 Server.

Federico.

Milton Tizoc Wed, 02/24/2010 - 16:51

It seems to be ok, can you post the "debug client " when trying to connect.

Regards,

Milton Tizoc.

Federico Coto F... Thu, 02/25/2010 - 08:08

Hi,

The problem was with some APs... that were configured under an AP group in the WLC.

When connecting to other APs it worked. We corrected the problem we with the AP group and started working.

Everything works now, except for the MacBook Air models that presents a lot of problems with the wireless connection (for example, prompting for the password everytime, disconnecting randomnly, etc.)

Seems to be a known issue, but we're still dealing with it.

Federico.

Milton Tizoc Thu, 02/25/2010 - 08:30

well it's good to hear that now it is working , about the macbook, try to update the driver of the wireless cards.

Regards,

Milton Tizoc.

Actions

This Discussion